Chapter Six

Crouching in a bush, Charlie nervously tried to hold himself back from a panic giggle. He pulled out his wand from the back pocket of his jeans. 

Charlie heard a small crack, that of a twig or a pine cone. Riley's head snapped toward the noise before a jet of silver flashed through the branches. A loud thump was heard, and Charlie went to stand.

"Wait," she whispered, placing her delicate hand on Charlie's chest, where it lingered long enough to feel his heavy and strong heartbeat fire against his rib cage.

After a few seconds, she nodded, and stood, brushing the dirt from her pants as she walked over to the body that had dropped.

She quickly scanned the man on the ground over, before shaking her head with a light smile adorning her features and whispering "ennervate".

Charlie came over to Riley's side in confusion. The man offered his hand to Riley, who swiftly pulled him up.

"Charlie Weasley, this is Hamish Howard. Hamish is from the Auror office. He makes sure the skill and competence of live agents are up to date."

Hamish shook Charlie's outreached hand easily to shake it, smiling at the firm handshake he received in return.

"Sorry if we startled you son. Knew Riley was out here for New Years and simply couldn't avoid making sure her standard hadn't dropped. Unfortunately, it's very hard to catch this lady out," he chuckled. "Thought that perhaps when she was with a friend we may have a slight advantage."

Riley smiled, tossing her hair over her shoulder, as she straightened the edges of her coat. "Unfortunately Mr Howard, you didn't quite get it this time. Any other information that needs to be passed on while you are here?"

Hamish handed Riley a small, brown envelope, and with a wink and a shake of his head, disapparated.

"Well," announced Charlie. "I was not expecting that."

Riley laughed, turning the envelope twice in her hand before shoving it in her coat pocket.

"How did you know he was there?"

"I know what to look for and listen for, and I've trained myself to never miss it. Like how in the dark ages, and still now, experienced hunters just know when there is prey around. Most animals can immediately sense their next meal, or whatever is trying to hunt them."

Speechless, Charlie shook his head and ran his calloused hand through his hair. He began to traipse forward, and Riley followed silently in his wake, enticingly light on her feet with a gentle smile dancing across her lips.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie held out his large hand to Riley and helped her over the small creek that surrounded the young dragon's area. 

"James Lillyard came up with this idea you know. About the creek, of course. He decided in 1956 that young or injured dragons in a sanctuary did not have the control with fire as they had grown up differently, or obviously were ill. The creek prevents the spread of too much fire, and holds off further danger to the rest of the sanctuary and other people."

Charlie's blue eyes lit up in interest.

"Quite an innovative concept, really. Prevented the spread of a fire in 1963 from a young Hungarian Horntail, hand reared at the sanctuary since birth. It's the things that seem so simple that really have the biggest toll on our lives."

There was a movement in the bush ahead of them, and out slunk a small pearl coloured dragon, it's eyes an endless pit of shimmering colour. 

He let out a small spit of bright red flame as Riley gasped, crouching down to the eye level of the young Antipodean Opaleye.

"He's beautiful. I must ask though Charlie, is the sanctuary investigating how the egg even got to Romania? These guys are native to New Zealand, and occasionally are found in Australia but it's a serious issue that one is in all the way in Romania. Looks like you're dealing with some illegal trafficking."

Charlie sighed. "Yeah, that's one of the things we discussed the other day at the Ministry. We'll send him to New Zealand as soon as we can, he belongs in the mountains there, not here, especially with the prey he needs." 

"Sheep, of course."

"He should be able to be released within a few months. The wing has healed miraculously well, maybe in part due to his age, but he's doing very well at the moment. Not overly vicious, due to the breed."

"Still obviously not tame though, such would be impossible."

"You've got it," he winked. "Here, I need to show you this." Charlie reached out and grabbed the slim hand of Riley, pulling her in a circle around the smalldragon.

The pair quickly reached a ridge overlooking a small clearing, again with the surrounds of a gentle creek. 

Two black horns resided on the dragons head, and a row of spikes descended down the back of the creatures neck.

"No way! A Catalonian Fireball?"

Charlie's excited smile could hardly be beaten. "Sure is! Freshly sent in from Spain, poor thing is looking at the amputation of one leg. We're taking care of him up to the surgery, and the rest of his life after." 

The two stood in wonder for a few moments, before realising at the same time that they still had hold of the others hand, and dropping it with a blush of red tinting each person's cheeks.

"Well," said Charlie, scratching the back of his neck. "Want to take a look at the elderly Ironbelly male?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was sundown, and Riley and Charlie were sitting at the doorstep of his residence. 

"You have almost every breed of dragon here, I didn't realise how well the sanctuary had progressed."

"Tell me about it," grinned Shaun as he sauntered up. "Heard you were back McAuley."

"Got impressive hearing when you want to use it don't you," scoffed Charlie, rolling his eyes in a friendly manner.

Ignoring Charlie, Riley smiled kindly at the man. "Shaun, how are you?"

"Exceedingly well. Yourself? You left in a rather big hurry last time."

Riley chuckled. "Things to do, people to see. I'm sure you know the story," she smiled, rising to her feet and brushing off the back of her jeans. "Sorry Shaun, Charlie, I have to send a letter off and then I might head to bed. I'll talk to you tomorrow Shaun, and Charlie, thank you for today." She placed her hand gently on the shoulder of the man and slipped inside.

Walking into the room Charlie had set up for her to stay in, she sat on the floor and pulled the letter from her coat. 

Dear Riley.

Your next assignment must begin as soon as possible after the sunrise on New Years Day. Meet me in the south of Wales, you know the cave. 

Yours truly,

Jolene.

Riley sighed to herself, folding the letter neatly and returning it to the envelope. 

She pulled out her pyjamas and pulled them swiftly on, slipping into the bed. As she fought her way to sleep, colourful dragons flew past the back of her eyelids, lulling her to sleep.