Chapter Nine

As Winter came to a close, Spring settled on London, where Riley found herself residing.

She was sat at a desk, reading over her documents to make sure nothing was missed.

As soon as she was sure, Riley sealed the envelope, dating and signing it in neat loopy handwriting.

March 7th, 1994
Riley to Lauren.

All the details of the trip to Peru that Riley had planned were in that envelope.

She had met with her aunt upon her arrival back in Europe, and it was decided that this trip would just be the siblings, as her aunt had many plans for the holidays.

Now, all plans confirmed, Riley was bored.

Their was nothing for her to do today, it was left as a simple day off.

Surprisingly, although Spring was coming in, Riley felt a small chill in the air inside her small flat.

Grinning to herself, the woman stood, strolling over to the door and pulling on her large coat and scarf before heading out her front door, and locking it with a gentle flick of her wand.

Riley wandered down the quiet streets, again entirely fascinated by the run down history of each of the buildings she encountered.

Taking a left turn, Riley's eyes caught a lit up building on the other side of the road, and quickly checking whether it was safe to cross or not, she ran across, and quickly squeezed through the doors to the building.

It was a small cafe, and had been near the entirety of Riley's nutrition while living in London.

She tried somedays, she really did. The other day she had attempted spaghetti for lunch.

Rather unfortunately the spaghetti did not turn out quite how Riley expected it to, rather being slightly black, although the flavour was delightfully smokey.

Riley sat alone in the corner most booth, and noticing her arrival, one of the Muggle waitress's bought over a pot of tea.

Riley smiled up at the woman, awkwardly avoiding eye contact, but luckily the staff had become accustomed to Riley's awkward nature, so she just smiled and went off to prepare the meal Riley had each morning.

The lights above flickered ominously, as the waitress returned with Riley's pumpkin soup, and ham and cheese scone.

Riley began her meal, chewing quickly, the soup not so hot as to burn her tongue.

The lights above flickered again, and Riley placed her spoon back on the side of her bowl.

Her eyes flicked up to the roof, and her brain questioned why the lights would flicker twice in such quick succession when they had never done so before.

Her hand slid down her leg smoothly, appearing as though she was simply going to scratch her ankle, and she extracted her wand from her boots, wrapping her fingers around the base.

With her right hand, she reached for her spoon once more, holding it rather awkwardly as it was not the hand she normally used.

The lights flickered once more, but this time switched off entirely, leaving the staff of the establishment confused, and the patrons murmuring amongst themselves.

The bells on the door jingled, and Riley looked back, only to see a wand pointed at her.

"Stupefy," spoke Riley quickly, her reflexes easily coming into play.