ii. lydia throws the best parties

"I'm going out, can you tell Mom and Dad when they get back from their date?"

Rory lifted her head from her Biology textbook at her younger brother's confusing words. Last she had heard Mason was campaigning for a movie night at the very house Rory was sitting in, although Rory helped convince her parents to can the idea.

The brunette started to speak before Mason reached the front door. He was in rather normal clothing and Rory only got more confused at that. "Where are you even going?"

"Liam texted me about some party," Mason said rather nonchalantly. His eyes were still trained on his cellphone and he didn't look up as he spoke to his older sister.

"You're a freshman."

"And you're a junior. Why are we stating each others year level?"

Rory had to fight her eyes to so they wouldn't roll. Mason was now looking up at the dark skinned girl curiously, wondering where she was going with this train of thought. "I meant that you're only a freshman, how have you been invited to a party?"

"Maybe I'm just likable," Mason commented light-heartedly, his face beaming.

Rory didn't fight her brother on this. He had always been the one that people gravitated towards in the Hewitt household. Mason was confident, spontaneous and exuded happiness, meanwhile Rory was slightly abrasive, protective and planned everything out. The siblings were opposites and Rory wasn't offended at this point in her life when people liked Mason more—she had been dealing with it for far too long for it to bother her.

The brunette had now stood up from where she was studying at the coffee table in her living room. Her parents had gone out about an hour ago and she would be damned if she let Mason go to a party without knowing who he was going with and where. Rory was most definitely the protective one. "No doubt about it, Mase. Whose party is it?"

"I don't know much about it," Mason was being honest now, Rory could simply tell by looking at his face. "I didn't actually get invited by the host, Liam just texted me a few minutes ago telling me to come."

"Who is the host?" Rory continued to prod the fifteen year old boy in question. There was no doubt in her mind that alcohol would be there, that wasn't the part she had a problem with. Rory just needed to know where Mason was going in case she had to go and find him passed out in a bush tomorrow.

Mason narrowed his eyes now. "Does it really matter, Rory? Just tell Mom and Dad I'll be back later."

The brunette walked over to where her brother was rummaging near the front door to find his shoes, his sock covered feet being the giveaway. Rory gripped his wrist in her own and tugged on it to force Mason to look up at her. "Tell me so I know where you are if shit goes down. That's all I need it for, I don't care if you get piss drunk or streak nude. I just need to know in case you need my help."

Mason looked reluctant to say anything but it didn't take long for the boy to cave. Rory always had the power of making people do what she wanted, her lips pulled down slightly in a pout and her deep, chocolate eyes widened. "It's at Lydia Martin's lake house. Kira Yukimura invited Liam."

Rory gaped at the names heard. Those were people in her year level, inviting freshman to their party. For as long as she had been at Beacon Hills, Rory had known that a Lydia Martin party was like no other and that the invite list was very exclusive. Somehow she imagined that her brother and his delinquent friends didn't quite fit the requirements.

"What? Jealous you didn't get an invite?"

Mason's comment made Rory finally look back up at him from her mother's favorite decorative rug. The older girl didn't fight the urge to roll her eyes this time and simply let it happen. "You didn't get invited either, Liam did. I'm actually more confused at how Lydia Martin would ever let freshman into her party."