v. you're not doing this without me

From: Mason

You haven't seen Liam have you?

To: Mason

No? What's happened?

From: Mason

Don't know. We were on a run and he sped off, and I haven't seen him since. I'm sure it's nothing.

Rory bit her lip at the message her brother had sent. Only a week or two ago, she probably would have put Liam running off as just simply that—her brother's best friend had always been athletically more able than most. Yet Rory didn't know if she could take it so simply now.

Things were weird. So weird that Rory was about to skip class and look for Liam, when she definitely knew she shouldn't due to her algebra class going through more SAT prep. But Rory wouldn't be able to sit through an entire class with this on her mind—with Liam missing to a degree.

It was probably nothing, yet Rory couldn't let it go. Ever since Scott and his friends had started to take an interest in Liam, nothing had been the same. Nothing had been normal. Rory didn't know why, and to be honest she didn't overly care. Not unless it involved Liam, or her younger brother.

From Mason's text, Rory gathered that Liam hadn't been in a few periods by now. Although most teens didn't like school, that was out of character. Rory's stomach sank at the realisation.

Her feet sped around the corner—in the exact opposite direction to her algebra class—and arms gripped onto her shoulders as she pushed right into someone.

It was a familiar feeling, and Rory looked up to have bumped into no one else but Scott Mccall.

"Rory, what's wrong?" Scott asked almost instantly upon seeing the brunette. Not only was she in a hurry, but she looked shaken.

Rory was thankful that it was Scott she had bumped into—not only because he might be able to settle her nerves about where Liam had ended up, but also because her skin tingled whenever he touched her. A warmth spread that Rory had started to become fond of.

The brunette quickly shook off her thoughts and stared up at the taller boy. His dark eyes searched her avidly, clearly trying to figure out what had Rory so rattled. She was sure her eyes were wide and face pale. "Have you seen Liam today?"

Scott shook his head, although he started to become more alert. Rory noticed his eyes widen that were stuck to her like glue. "No. Why? Did something happen to him?"

"It's probably nothing," Rory spoke as she took a large breath through her nose. She needed to move on, to let it go considering it was more than likely nothing serious. There were a million plausible explanations as to why Liam was gone—and the majority of them didn't end in his imininent death.

Scott grabbed Rory's wrist gently and the brunette locked eyes with him as soon as he did so. She tried to ignore the tingling that spread. "Rory, it might be important. Just tell me—you look like you need to let it out."

And how he knew that exactly, Rory had no idea. But those simple words were all Rory needed for her to spill all that she knew from what Mason had told her—which annoyingly wasn't very much.

"I told you it's probably nothing—"

"Scott, I need your help."

Both Scott and Rory jumped slightly at the sound of somebody right beside them.

Rory only narrowed her eyes at the sight of seeing her younger brother there, looking rather sheepish as he approached Scott and herself.

Scott looked between the two Hewitt siblings, who both were locked in a stare—Rory's one of slight anger, while Mason looked like he regretted having made his way over. The last thing Scott wanted was to be caught in a sibling dispute.