chapter eight

Next Saturday, Valentines Day, it was 4 pm already. Figuring that it was still early, Hiro thought of having a cat-nap.

Well, that was an hour and thirty minutes ago. Hiro wakes up, stretching his arms and looks at his robot-themed wall clock.
"5:30?!"It took long before Hiro finds himself running after his hoodie, a box, a kiss, hug and greet from Aunt Cass and towards the local San Fransokyo park.

As he arrives, he sees you, arms crossed with a glare.

"Oh finally! The Hiro Hamada arrives, 37 minutes late!" You procrastinate.

Hiro rubs the nape of his neck nervously. "Sorry, Y/N."

You suddenly laugh out of the blue.

"What?" Hiro asks.

"Don't take it seriously, man," you playfully push him in his shoulder. "I'm not mad."

Hiro's confused and worried face changes into a poker one. "Dammit, Y/N!" He shouts.

You laugh. A laugh that Hiro wants to hear its richness again. "Alright! But I'm still mad at you for one thing,"

Hiro thinks for a moment before remembering the important day. He slaps his forehead under his bangs. "Of course, how could I forget your special day? Happy birthday, N/N!"

You chuckle. "Thanks, Hiro." You notice that his hands are behind his back as he talks to you. "Hey, what are you holding behind you?" Hiro looks around absentmindedly as he whistles. "It looks like a present for someone, am I right?" You smirk wistfully.

Hiro stops and grins. "Yes. It is indeed for someone."

"Uh huh. 'someone'."

He looks around before he also notice your hands. "What are you holding behind your hands, too?"

"I don't know. Perhaps a present for 'someone'?" You reply. "Anyway, we'll just open our presents later."

"Alright." An awkward silence follows, but it occupies with a growl that is unexpectedly comes from Hiro's stomach. "Y/N, I'm--"

"Hungry?" You ask with a smirk. Hiro nods shyly before you laugh. "Me too. I saw a hotdog stand just over the corner. We could eat there."

"Sounds like a plan,"

◆△◆△

The both of you walk near the stand. Hiro looks at the tender and juicy hotdogs and corndogs.

"You want one? I'll pay." You say as you reach for your wallet but a hand grabs your wrist.

"No," Hiro insists. "I'll pay, you order."

You sigh. "O-okay."

As Hiro orders your (corndog/hotdog), you find an empty, vacant bench by the sidewalk and sit by it.

"Okay," Hiro arrives. "A hotdog for me and a (corndog/hotdog) for the special birthday girl." He hands you your order.

You take it from him. "Thanks!" As you eat, you notice the afternoon sky is turning into night. The soft pink, red orange, yellow color soon change into a dark blue, purple, magenta one. Stars are starting to appear in the now night sky. You sigh and turn to Hiro. "It's getting late. Why did you arrive past five, Hiro Hamada?!"

He nervously chuckles before starting. "I kinda overslept, Y/N."

"Okay. Let's eat!" You and Hiro started to eat.

A few bites later, as Hiro continues to eat, he notices a smear of (mustard/ketchup) on your face. He must do something. "Wait, hold on, Y/N. I'll be right back." He throws the stick and goes over to the vendor of the stand. He takes two tissues and walks back to the bench.

You see him with the tissues. "What did yo--"

Hiro interrupts you by wiping the condiments off your face.

You give him a confused glance. "I don't understand. Why did you just wiped my cheek?" You asks.

"'Cause there was a smear of (mustard/ketchup) on your face!"

"Really?" You laugh. "That was embarrasing. Kinda reminds me of the story you told me a week ago." You finally finish your food and throw them away to the nearest trash can. "Anyway. Hiro, I'm just curious, what is your type of food?"

Hiro shrugs. "Just simple and plain kind of foods.

"Yeah? Like what?"

L

ike Gummy Bears.

Hiro shrugs again. "Like bread and eggs and all that. Simple, but nutritious, I guess. And gummy bears are my recent favorite."

You laugh slightly. "That's cute."

"Really?" He asks. You nod and Hiro laughs again. "Okay, well... thanks! Let's walk around for a bit, shall we?"

"Good idea." You and Hiro stand up and started to walk. "Hiro, I just want to ask..." Hiro looks at you.

"Hm?"

"Do you still have that mug I gave you?"

Hiro answers, "Yeah, I still have it."

"Do you use it?" You ask.

"Of course I do," He smiles. "To be honest, it's actually my favorite mug. I can't drink without it." You laugh. "Why did you mail it anyway?"

You smile. "You always forget, don't you?" Hiro shrugs as he chuckles. "It's because you're such a good friend, Hiro."

His smile slowly faded. You're such a good friend, Hiro. He looks down, but you hold your gaze to your right.

◆△◆△

Whoops! Gonna stop it from there. There's more to come in the following chapters!