Chapter 2

A/N: I was going to wait to update this but I woke up to like 10 inches of snow on the ground so I decided that I need to update my holiday story. Leave me comments on things you liked or things that need fixing because constructive criticism is always appreciated. :) -Grace

Sherlock's P.O.V.

"December."

"I'm sorry, what?"

"December, John!"

With that I grabbed my coat and rushed outside. I didn't know where I was going ot what I was going to get at this point. All I knew is that I needed to get something for John. Last Christmas was a bit not good and I need to make up for it. Besides, he's my friend -something I haven't been able to say about anyone else- and I feel like I need to get him a gift because that's what friends do, isn't it?

Or maybe it's because I think about him as more than a friend...

No. You don't feel, Sherlock. If caring is a disadvantage, what does that make love? You are not in love with John Watson and he wouldn't love you back even if you did.

I kept walking and the snow started falling harder. I turned up my collar and tightened my scarf to try to sheild myself from the biting wind with no success. I started walking faster hoping that I would soon find a store with a gift suitable for John.

~later~

I now realize why I have never taken the time to find a gift for someone. It's difficult and time consuming and a pain in the arse. I should have tried shopping online. At this point, I can't give up and go back because the last few hours would have been a waste of time and I would have to think of an excuse for why I left, which wouldn't be hard with John, but I feel like neither lying to him or telling him the truth.

What's wrong with you, Sherlock? You've never had problems with lying to John, especially when it's something so irrelevant. You've also never felt the need to surprise him. Why do I suddenly care about his happiness so much?

~the next morning~

I had been out all night looking for a present for John. It got to be useless eventually because no stores were open that late. I ended up sitting in an alley and going to my mind palace. What would be something that John would like?

After finally picking something out, I ran back to the flat. It was hard to contain my excitement -something I never felt about anything but cases.

~a few moments later~

"A text would have been nice, Sherlock."

I couldn't help feeling slight remorse about dissappearing yesterday. John seems more upset about it that he normally does. I try to make an apology.

"I am sorry, John. I seem to have upset you more than usual."

Great. That was a terrible apology. I sound like a robot and not the least bit sincere.

I reached into my coat and grabbed out the present. It's not wrapped well (the woman at the store said they were out of things to wrap it with; she just didn't feel like it because she was busy texting her boyfriend of three years who was cheating on her with her best -male- friend) because I did it myself and have no experience with wrapping since I've never given a gift before. I handed it to John, trying to deduce what he thought about it.

"Who are you and what have you done with Sherlock Holmes?"

I can tell he appreciates the notion, although it was initially hidden by confusion and slight amusement (probably because of the terrible wrapping). For some reason, this makes me happy. I, Sherlock Holmes, care about the happiness of John Watson and that makes me happy. Something really is wrong with me.