The Bathroom

How to Break a Mask

Author: Kinomi Akai

Disclaimer: If I owned Naruto, I wouldn't have to eat Kraft Dinner, but I would eat Kraft Dinner - of course I would, I'd just eat more!

Summary: An incident at the festival on Oct. 10th reveals that there is a lot that everyone doesn't know about Naruto. Smart!Naruto, Sasunaru/Narusasu, Rated M to be safe

Pairings: Sasunaru/Narusasu, mentions of KakaIru, as of now.

Warnings: Shonen-ai, yaoi, boy x boy, whatever to want to call it. Sakura "bashing" in earlier chapters.

"Blah" - talking

'blah' - thinking

'blah' - Kyuubi talking

*** *** ***

Last time:

They exited the restaurant and looked at the booths that were nearly finished being set up. As they walked by, looking for something to do, the citizens of Konoha were fuming. The demon-boy hadn't shown his face on this day since when he was five, and they had taught him a lesson, a very significant lesson, and it seemed he hadn't learned. They looked to one another, silently communicating, thinking the same haunting thought; how shall we discipline him this time?

*** *** ***

Chapter 4: The Bathroom

The first thing they did when they walked out of the restaurant was follow Kakashi to a stand right across the street, where he bought a great amount of food.

"Didn't we just eat...?" Sakura mumbled. Kakashi's eye curved up, and he turned and spoke to her:

"You can never have enough snacks!" He said as he paid for the bags.

"Oh, okay," she said.

Kakashi discretely passed a bag into Naruto's hand before turning and continuing to walk like nothing happened. Naruto was shell-shocked.

'Did he just...?'

"I told you he wasn't as dumb as the rest of them,"

"Oi, dobe! You coming?" Sasuke was looking back at him.

Naruto shook his head and hurried to catch up to his team. "So where are we even going?" Naruto finally spoke up.

"Hokage-sama is giving a speech, a few more minutes walk from here. It's starting soon," Kakashi remarked.

*** *** ***

They walked until they were almost right in the middle of the festival, which only made Naruto even more paranoid.

There was a stage of some sort, and everyone seemed to be standing and waiting for something. Securely in the middle of his team, Naruto took a sad moment to look around, and think that if he wasn't himself, he could have had a lot of fun at this festival. The decorations were detailed and beautiful, and decorated with the symbol of Konoha. There was music and chatter and in spite of the somber occasion, everyone had put all they had into making this a happy occasion. Naruto felt a lump in his throat. He really, really didn't belong here.

The crowd was pushing now, as the time ticked closer to whatever would happen on stage. It was only a few minutes before that actually happened, but by then Naruto was feeling very claustrophobic. Sasuke was still on one side, which was fine, but he didn't know the person on his other side. But the man knew him. He caught his gaze and immediately looked to the floor. The restrained fury in his eyes said the man knew Naruto very well.