Part 7

She walked into the deli and looked around for the young man. Customers stood in line while employees served with a smile. She noticed the triangle cheese shaped tables and the booth tabletops that looked like cutting boards. What was up with the decor? These people took the deli's name way too seriously.
Spotting the young man sitting at a cheese table in the back corner, she made her way over.
"Hi."
"Hello! Please, take a seat." He motioned to the chair in front of him. Blue sat. "Why did you want to meet me here? There's still people around."
"They're my employees" he smiled. "They won't leak any information."
Did he pick out the store theme? If so, he had horrible decorating skills. "Can I ask a question?"
"Of course! That's why I'm here." He folded his hands together.
"Why me?"
"Like I said, I felt a connection."
She paused, "That girl in the picture, your girlfriend. Is she apart of this organization?"
"She is. We joined together. There were a few bumps in the road but it worked out in the end. What can I say, I love her." His eyes softened.
She was thinking of asking why the police files said she was missing, but advised against it. "What exactly is this organization?"
He leaned in, "A group of people who have no attachments to this world or anything in it. Lonely people joining a brotherhood."
"I'm not alone."
"I think otherwise."
She wanted to overt her eyes but continued to keep eye contact.
"I can see it in your eyes." he smirked. "You were never understood. No one was there for you when you needed them the most. You were completely alone so you closed yourself off. You met some people along the way so you force yourself to pretend like everything was okay. You don't want to seem weak. Deep down you don't really care about anyone."
"That's not true." She commented.
He leaned back against the chair, "Really? How about lover boy? He's obviously infatuated with you and yet you seem distant. Could it be that you actually enjoy the attention but at the same time don't think you deserve it? Is that why you won't just cut him off?"
Her eyes darted back-and-forth as her breathing quickened.
"You're. Just. Like. Us." a sly cheshire smile crawled across his face. "You should join. It gives you a reason to live."
"I don't need a reason. I don't seek life."
"Do you want to die?"
"I don't know."

__________________________

GG and Harper turned to see Blue walk through the front door. Her face was emotionless.
"Is everything okay? How'd it go?" GG asked.
Blue stood in the kitchen, staring into the refrigerator. "He said the girl is apart of the organization. They joined together."
"Did you get his name?" Harper asked.
"No. Sorry."
As GG and Harper continued to talk, Blue stepped outside. She rubbed her hands together as the chill of the autumn air nipped at her fingertips. The sun in front of her had almost completely set behind the tall buildings.
She sat down on the curb in front of her apartment and pulled out the business card. She started at the black card with white lettering. Sighing, she crumpled it up and threw it as far as she could into the parking lot. "I don't need help." She whispered.