11

BY the time 2030 rolls around, we're all pretty much done with the day. The whole squad trudges into Barracks 10 with sagging shoulders and exhausted eyes.

"I can't get that nasty-ass taste out of my mouth," Tank complains.

"What was the purpose of that?" Dumbo whines. "He could've just told us: 'hey, this is what you would have to do in that situation.' He didn't have to make us drink..." he can't bring himself to say it.

Oompa shakes his head. "He wouldn't be Reznik if he did it like that."

Flintstone snorts. "Wish he wasn't Reznik, then."

"I'm going to be forever scarred." Teacup dramatically flops back on my bed, hand over her eyes. "That was literally the most disgusting thing ever."

"Not as gross as your little science lesson last night." Tank argues.

Oompa groans. "God, don't make me think about it. I'm already feeling sick as it is."

Flintstone shrugs. "Ain't that gross."

"Oh, shut up," Teacup sits up to glare around me as I strip. "You only say that 'cause you wish you were Zombie so you could tell everyone what to do and have sex with Croak."

My hand goes around her neck and pins her to the bed. I crawl over her, legs caging her in. I don't care that I'm only in my underwear. I don't care that Dumbo is clawing at my back, trying to get me off.

I lean in close to her wide eyes. "Teacup?"

"Yeah?"

"Stop talking about that." Then I shove off the bed and resume changing into my night shirt. "Oh, piss off, Dumbo. I was just trying to make a point."

He holds his hands up. "Sorry for not wanting you to kill Teacup."

"She should know better than to say stuff like that," I say, sending a sharp look her way. "I've threatened her how many times?"

Tank snorts. "Maybe killing her would finally get the point across."

Teacup leans around me. "Shut up, Tank!"

"You're askin' for it, Teacup."

I roll my eyes at their typical bickering and step back into my boots. As I'm lacing up, Flintstone calls over the childish insults, "You going to extra practice?"

"Yeah," I stand up and smooth out my bed. "I missed last night. Figured I'd better go tonight."

He shrugs. "Suit yourself."

I brush him off and start down the hallway, passing Zombie, who is carrying Nugget. "Are we still-"

"Yeah. Meet you there."

Well okay then. Didn't mean to bother you with my simple question, your majesty. I head for the training room.

It's empty – as usual. I stand awkwardly on the mats. Last time I was in here, I was subjected to drink my own pee.

I shove that memory as far from my mind as possible. Not exactly something I want to think about. Ever.

After waiting five minutes, I decide to do something beneficial with my time: push-ups.