29

He stares at me for a second, almost like he can't believe that I just said that.

To be honest, I can't believe I just said that.

"Mary Beth?" He tests the name out.

I nod and cross my arms a little tighter. I already felt physically exposed due to the harsh elements. Now I feel like all my internal organs have been spilled across the semi-frozen ground for Zombie to see.

"I like it," he decides.

I snort. "I'm so glad."

He sighs. "Don't be like that."

"I'm not being any way," I insist, but I lower my eyes. I know what he's talking about. I can't reveal something personal without trying to clam up immediately afterward. That's just my defense mechanism. It's something that has gotten me to where I am today – something that has kept me alive.

Zombie nudges my leg with his own. His pants are rough. The military doesn't provide fabric softener. Shocking. "Croak," he says.

I avoid his gaze still, studying his broad kneecap in comparison to my small one.

"Mary Beth," he tries.

It's on impulse that I look up. Old habits die hard, I guess.

But it makes him smile. Not an outright grin, but a tentative turning at the corner of his lips.

"What, Ben?" I raise my eyebrows. My voice is still a tad harsh, but it's soft volume takes away some of the blow. Plus, Zombie knows me. He knows how I am. The tone of my voice doesn't guarantee my true emotions.

He isn't expecting that reply, or maybe he's still a little surprised that I remembered his first name – his real name. I remember everything this boy has ever told me. I'll remember it and someday I might regret it.

Zombie shrugs and then smiles again. "I just wanted to say your name."

I roll my eyes. "Don't overuse it. I don't go by that anymore." I pause, staring out over the dark field. My lip goes in between my teeth. "And if you tell anyone-"

"I wouldn't. I'm not stupid." He shifts slightly. Maybe his butt is starting to fall asleep like mine. "The things we tell each other... they stay between us."

I give him one sharp nod. "Right," I say. A strand of hair falls out of my ponytail, and I tuck it behind my ear. Stupid wind.

We're silent for a minute. I never realized until now that there has been constant noise ever since I came to Camp Haven. I missed the quiet.

Before the waves, my life was a constant rush. School was noisy, home was noisy, the world was noisy. I used to long for one moment, just one tiny sliver of the day, where I could bask in silence.

After the waves, my life became dependent on stealth and the absence of sound. It used to drive me crazy. When I'd lay on the floor in my automotive shop, staring at the shadowed ceiling, I'd swear I heard an ever-lasting scream. The aliens destroyed the world and sucked her song away, leaving a ringing echo that stayed in the ears of those who were present for her final refrain.

Maybe this isn't the end, though. Maybe we can defeat the aliens, and bring the world back to the way it once was.

I glance over at Zombie, who is once again staring at me. His eyes are hooded, and he gives me a sleepy smile. "What are you thinking about?" He asks me.

"I'm thinking that I've kept you up too late," I say, half-joking. "You look tired."

"Gee, thanks."