❝ you've got everybody fooled ❞

(Unedited)

Just what we all need,
More lies about a world that...
Never was and never will be.
Have you no shame?
Don't you see me?
You know you've got everybody fooled.

"Everybody's Fool" - Evanescence

Vanessa's house was big enough that I had to stop several times and ask for directions from her staff on where her room was. I wasn't sure if weekly get-togethers at Vanessa's house were a tradition or something for the Elite, but it seemed like it.

The rest of the Elite were probably going to arrive in half an hour or so. Well, the rest of the Elite minus Skylar, because she was in the hospital. The doctors had asked her to stay a little longer so they could make sure everything was okay.

I walked into Vanessa's room, and stopped. No one was in the room. "Vanessa?" I called.

"In here," she replied, her voice coming from the bathroom. I crossed her room and pushed open the bathroom door. Vanessa was inside, putting on mascara. She turned to me, grinning. "Hey. Stay here for a sec, okay?" Then, before I could respond, she was gone.

I stared after her. Vanessa had done some pretty weird things in the week and half I had known her, and I had heard that she was strange, but I didn't think the disappearing act was her st- Suddenly, someone crashed into me and I barely managed to keep from falling over. I grabbed the sink and shoved back, pushing them off me. The sound of the door slamming shut echoed through the bathroom as I realized who was in here.

"What the hell Vanessa? I don't want to talk to him!" I yelled, not caring if I offended Jacen. I shoved past him and moved to the door- only to find the handle wouldn't turn. Déjà vu. So déjà vu, but worse, because now I was stuck in here with Jacen Winston. Who had kissed me in a closet and was a complete and utter asshole.

"I think you guys need to forget the past," Vanessa called back, giggling. "I'm not letting you out until you make up."

I knocked on the door. "This isn't funny, Vanessa!"

The only response I got from her was a laugh.

I groaned and turned back around. Jacen, who had been leaning against the counter, pushed off and took a step towards me. I grabbed the first thing I touched from Vanessa's counter and held it in front of me. "Don't come fucking near me."

He held his hands up. "What are you going to do? Eyelash me to death?" he asked, nodding at the mascara wand in my hand.

Don't blame me, okay? It was the first thing I touched.

I sighed and set it down. "I still hate you."

"I know." He snorted. "You're not exactly subtle about it."

I didn't respond, just continued to glare at him.

"I think I'm gonna go make myself a sandwich," Vanessa called from the other side of the door. "I have a feeling this will take a while."

I didn't reply to that either, keeping my eyes on Jacen. He returned my stare, looking annoyingly amused.

I caved after ten minutes of silence. "Why did you tell me to stay away from Jenna Tunclet?" Might as well ask since it looked like we'd be stuck in here for a while. As much as I didn't want to talk to him, I had questions. Ones that probably couldn't be answered by anyone but him.

Jacen raised an eyebrow. "I thought I told you, Elena."

"You told me she was crazy," I said flatly.