❝ i can't let this go ❞

(unedited)

I can't let this,
I can't let this go,
When I got you right where I want you.
I've been pushing for this for so long.
Kiss me, just once, for luck,
These are desperate measures now.

"Desperate Measures" -Marianas Trench

I stepped off the plane, expecting to see Kaden, Raine, or even Devon waiting for me, but instead, an entirely different voice was calling my name.

Ashton Sinclair.

I froze and blinked a couple times to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me due to how tired I was.

Why would you imagine Ashton, though, Lena?

I blinked again.

Nope, he's still there.

I made my way towards him slowly, dragging my feet behind me. "What are you doing here?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

He looked a little ridiculous, with a baseball tucked tightly over his hair, the brim shadowing the top half of his face. But I knew it was so he wouldn't get recognized. He wasn't a superstar or anything, but his family did have a lot of power and money.

"To pick you up," he answered, pushing me into motion with one hand on my back.

"Where's Kaden? And Raine?" I asked, eying him suspiciously.

He shot me an amused look."I didn't kill them, if that's what you're asking."

"Why aren't they here?"

"Something came up," he replied. Vague, much? "Kaden sent me to pick you up."

"Kaden sent you?"

He nodded. "You sound doubtful."

Yeah, because he doesn't trust you. I didn't say that out loud, of course, instead just pulled out my phone. "I'm checking."

He shrugged. "Go ahead."

I glanced up at the airport sign above us. "And I have luggage so we're going this way." I started dialing as I turned left, Ashton following closely behind me, his hand still resting on my back.

It took Kaden six rings to pick up, which was unusual for him. He usually picked up in two, or sent it to voicemail. Something about Raine putting on an annoying ringtone, then password protecting it so he couldn't change it.

"Hello?" he said. And he didn't check Caller ID. He sounded calm, but he never answered the phone without checking the ID. This time, I think it was because of something Kallie had done a while back.

I didn't mention my concerns, though. "Hey, why is Ashton picking me up?"

"Don't sound too happy there, Elle," the guy in question muttered from beside me.

"Something happened at the firm," Kaden replied.

"What about Raine?"

"LA. She'll be back tomorrow night."

"Devon?"

"Busy."

Busy?

"Shawn?"

"With Devon."

Oh. That kind of busy. Alright.

I was stalling. What I wanted to ask was whether or not Kaden really trusted Ashton now, but I couldn't since he was beside me and could hear everything I was saying. As we arrived at the luggage carousel, I got an idea.