Fears

Second chapter is here. More Costia and Lexa bonding. Lincoln joins the characters.

Last chapter I named some of Lexa's family members. Now you can see how they function as a family (or don't).

Indra and Anya get a few lines as well...

Reviews will be appreciated.

---

After emerging victorious from a few games of tag with Costia, Lexa wanted them to rest for a while. They ended up in a nearby treetop. They were sitting there, eating fruits and laughing for about an hour. At one point spitting out the seeds from the fruit became a competition, too. The further, the better.

"Ha, that was the best one yet. Why don't you just admit defeat?" Costia teased.

"Never. I'm trying again." Lexa put a fruit in her mouth and after a few moments spit out a seed as far as she possibly could. It still didn't beat Costia's record.

"I guess we finally found something that I'm better at than you."

"Well, of course you are. It's a useless skill."

"I'm still better." Costia was amused by the face Lexa's made. She was so used to winning that this bothered her. And Costia so enjoyed teasing her friend.

"We should get going. It's late." Lexa just realized it was almost sunset. It was about to get really dark and a bit dangerous in this forest. She's been terrified of the dark since she could remember. It started out when she began sleeping in her own room. First she needed a candle to go to sleep peacefully, then a few and soon enough her room was filled with candles and she was still afraid. Afraid of what might lurk outside; in the hallway, outside her window. And staying outside, in the woods at night, that was unthinkable.

"If it's about me showing off, I'll stop." Costia didn't understand the sudden hurry and worry in Lexa's voice.

"No. I think we should get back before dark, that's all." Lexa was on the ground in a few quick movements. Costia on the other hand wasn't as good a climber as Lexa and took her time. Lexa urged her to hurry, so she did. She suddenly slipped and after a short fall landed on the ground feet first. Lexa screamed and ran to help her friend up.

"Costia! Are you alright? Costia?"

Costia didn't answer but sat up and made a pained expression. Lexa saw that as an invitation to examine her. Her knee was severely scraped, but other than that fine, while her foot was in a strange position.

"Can you stand?"

Costia tried to get up, but even with Lexa's help she just couldn't stay upright.

"I think my right ankle is sprained. Badly. I can't stand on it."

"Then I'll help you walk."

"You can't Lexa. This thing is already swollen. It's only going to get worse and you can't carry me, I'm too heavy. You have to go alone."

"No, no. There are panthers and wolves in these woods. And you are unarmed and bleeding. If you stay then I stay, too."

"Lexa, don't be stupid. Go back and you'll get me in the morning. I'll be fine, just go." Costia lied to make sure her friend was safe. In truth, she was terrified to stay alone without a weapon or a fire. It was a death sentence.

"Fine. I'll go. But I'll be the first thing you see in the morning. I promise you." Lexa was getting teary. She took out a knife from behind her back and handed it to Costia.