Chapter One: Arkham

Do you ever think about who you would be if you weren't you. Well I did. I still do. I was scared to be who I was. I've run away from every opportunity I've had and every opportunity I could have now. I'm ruined. I was your average person until a few years ago when I met Mistah J. I thought everything was perfect... but life never goes to plan. That's just...life.

        ♡   ♡   ♡   ♡   ♡

I was waiting on the outskirts of Gotham City, the sun beaming down on my face making it tingle on my fair skin and making it impossible to see with the reflection in my glasses, my dirty blonde hair tied back into a slick ponytail. Dressed in my best clothes, pencil skirt, navy blue blouse and black heels I wandered along the dirty, grimy and semi derelict streets, I didn't fit in here, I've studied psychology for at least 3 years now at Gotham University so temporally living in Arkham Asylum was a change. The Asylum wasn't an advertising place but the mysteries behind it sure were. I was going to create my future here, maybe I'll be one of Arkhams mysteries too.

I called my cab to pick me up from the train station. It wasn't a very big station, just somewhere where trains could come and go but then again who would want to stay here for longer than an hour? Well if you where me then maybe. It surprised me how Gotham was beautiful on the inside but so abandoned on the outside. I could see Arkham Asylum in the distance, the sun was setting behind it. It was getting cold as it got later and the Asylum had a purple glow outlining the building, it was a scary but welcoming feeling.

A strange and powerful feeling came over me as I thought about my future working at Arkham and the secrets I would uncover about these psychotic, anti-social freaks I was going to work with, I couldn't wait. It gave me a sense of power that I've never felt before and I liked it. Immediately my mind snapped out of its daydream when an black cab came racing out of the darkness, screeching its wheels while bumping onto the curb.

"Get in the car before I lose my patience" the young brunette man said with annoyance. I jumped in without even thinking twice afraid what could happen if I didn't listen.

"Where to blondie" questioned the man, rolling his eyes at me through the rear view mirror.

"Arkham Asylum please"

He sharply turned in his driver's seat with a smirk on his face giving me a glare, his eyes making direct contact with mine.

"So you're the Harleen Quinzel all the chit chats been about."

A cold shiver ran through my body "Yes.. I'm the new psychiatrist, but how do you know me I've never been here before?"

"Do you know who you've been assigned too?" He gripped his stirring wheel so hard while laughing he could have snapped it in two.

"No, but.... clearly you know so can you tell me?" Putting his foot down on the accelerator we raced forward on the uneven roads, he answered my question which left me confused. "Well Quinzel ...Your going to have so much fun."

                          *

I stepped out of the cab slowly admiring the huge building. The gates were old and rusted with little bits of black paint peeling away like they were trying to escape, the metal bars holding the Asylum sign up were spiked at the end like freshly sharpened knives, long and tall, the same height as the red brick wall that was ruled by overgrown Ivy. The grey ground was marked with tire tracks from the Arkham transportation vans, uneven and difficult to walk on in my heels. The area was vast with guards standing in every corner like villains lurking in shadows, one guard gave me a stare as the sound of my heels gave a sharp echo. There were very few windows on the brick walls, just metal sheets bolted to where old windows would have been, probably smashed from the crazy people who live here.

The brunette man then gripped at my arm and pulled me towards him causing me to tumble, his grip was hard and his nails dug into my arm. "Let go!" I shouted afraid of him.

"Shut your mouth blondie, you should learn a few things" he snapped back viciously.

"Oh yeah?" I answered back, curious to know.

"First the names Oscar, second if you wanna survive you need to learn to keep your mouth shut and third, you need to be careful who you trust, especially Mr.J" replied Oscar slightly calmer than he did the last time he spoke to me, his eyes softer looking, like he felt sorry for hurting me; but his eyes were still the palest icy blue I've ever seen.

"Who's Mr.J?" I questioned staring into his cold eyes, his face getting closer to mine revealing a scar on the side of his forehead. He leaned in closer to my ear, his warm breath making my skin tingle and my hair stand upright on the back of my neck. "You'll see Dr.Quinzel"

He turned sharply on his heel to pass me my bags out the trunk of the cab and got back in the car. "I hope to see you around blondie" he called back sticking his head out the window like a dog would do. "And try not to turn crazy, it's happened before and it didn't work out too great."  As he started speeding away into the darkness of the city streets. I stood in front of Arkham. Who knows what the future will hold for me....

-

So guys I finally uploaded 😳😬 I don't know what your going to think of me but oI can't help but panic
I just finished reading an awesome Shawn Mendes fan fic called Alone by @littleflowergirl (I think that's right) IT WAS SO GOOD 😍😍 I'm no where as good as that though

Leave a nice comment if you enjoyed it 😬🙂

- elisia 💕