Chapter Two: Misunderstood

Walking into a job I've always wanted to do was scary, to actually have achieved a goal I set when I was so young made me happy. The "lobby" was very dark, dim wall lights only just lit up the halls, and with every step I took my shoes echoed.

I stood around for a moment because there was no one around for me to ask where I need to go, I was taking over from Dr. Barbra Tompkins and I knew she had a room on site and that's where I was going to be living temporarily until I had enough money to buy a place for myself. 'Ah you must be Harleen Quinzel' a voice said coming from behind me. I turned around to see a slender man, with thinning black hair smiling at me. ' Yes, Could you-' I didn't get to finish my question before he wondered of into a room which was probably his office, looking back to check I was following. I was.

I entered his office. It was empty apart from a few filing cabinets, desk and a laptop. 'I'm extremely busy so I'm going to make this as brief as I can, first I need you to sign this paperwork... here is your card that you will swipe when you sign in on a morning, here is your key to your room, nothing fancy just to warn you. I'd like to let you know that although your new..... um how do I put this.'

I looked up from my paperwork hesitantly 'What do you mean although I'm new.'

'You'll be treating a patient that people refuse to treat, on your CV it does say "'I'm willing to attempt anything that is put in my path, I like a challenge.'" I nodded and he continued his sentence " You will be treating Jack Napier also known around Gotham as-"

" The... Joker." I couldn't believe it. I was the happiest person in world and I had no idea why. People would usually run away screaming because he was a psychopathic murderer and an evil genius, and I Harleen Quinzel had the opportunity to somewhat treat him.

'So...your familiar with the Joker' He questioned quite surprised.

There was an awkward silence as we both stared at each other. ' Yes, well I mean everyone knows him...he's the most well know villain around Gotham' I looked back down to try and resume my paperwork but he started talking again. 'Apartment B26 and also I forgot to introduce myself' he reached his hand out to shake mine 'I'm Hugo. Dr. Hugo Strange.'

He scuttled out of the room and left me to signing the paperwork. After I'd finished I wandered into the hallway and went up a flight of stairs. When I reached the top there were no cells but a couple of rooms with numbers on them, I checked all the doors and the second to last one was B26. I opened the door and placed my bags onto the bed, the room was pretty decent it just looked like any average en-suite room; lamp in the corner, single bed against the wall, mirror, wardrobe and a bathroom. My first session with the Joker was tomorrow, I couldn't wait...

When I woke up in the morning I tried to remember what had happened yesterday but I had no memory, the last thing I remember was walking in putting my bags down onto the bed. I must have fallen asleep. I did my usual morning routine, showered, dried my hair, got dressed and signed in downstairs. I never usually ate breakfast, I was never hungry on a morning.

Today was the day. Before I actually had the session I was given a tour by a guard so it would help me have an understanding of how the place worked. He told me that the main rule as a psychiatrist was to not talk or give advice to any other patient than my own. Fair enough, I don't want to get wound up with to many crazy creeps.

After Lunch it was time for my session. I was numb but my heart was racing faster than ever before. I met Dr. Strange outside room 17 with a bolted door and 'Dr. Harleen Quinzel' on it in . 'Don't fall into any of his traps. DO NOT let him trick you into telling him anything about yourself or your family.' All this he said while looking me directly in the eye. Not blinking once.

As the door was unbolted and I entered the room I saw a man sat there staring at me, not moving a muscle. His neon green, greasy hair stood out against the dull grey walls. He had a tattoo on his forehead but from a distance away I couldn't tell what it said, I could see some more tattoos poking up on his neck but the strait jacket he was wearing was covering them up. He also had some oversized pants on that said 'ARKHAM' in bright yellow lettering along the side.
He gave me a strange glare as if he already knew everything about me which made me nervous but I shrugged it off.

He smiled with a grin like the Cheshire Cat and softly laughed to himself, 'Hello Dr. Quinzel, so nice to meet you.'

'Hello Mr.J, I hope you don't mind if I call you that.' I replied, smiling softly remembering the cab driver calling him that. How did he know about me treating Mr J?

'Oh, I see. You have pet name for me already' he said grinning 'I can tell we're going to get along.'

'I hope so. Let's start shall we...'

******

The session went really fast. I didn't want it to end. He told me about his abusive father and his past and it left me in awe. In my eyes he was such a beautiful person. I saw nothing wrong with him, just deep down inside he has some issues. He's just misunderstood. What was I thinking!? I was his assigned psychiatrist. I had to keep this professional. Just forget about it and get a grip.

-

I really hope you guys are enjoying this story. I've put my own twist on the things and made characters up and I've changed backstories and stuff. I've also thought off adding details in from Batman the animated series because I've watched them 😏

I apologise because I'm such a bad writer, I haven't got any imagination 😂 so I'm sorry please comment, like and share if your enjoying it and looking forward to seeing what happens next.

- elisia 💕