Family Doesn't Matter

"So, when do we get to see our," John laughed a little bit, wondering how ridiculous he was about to sound, "Our son?" he asked.
"Well obviously they just can't make a baby, it has to grow still." Sherlock insisted. John frowned slightly, imagining that he would walk out of this room and there would be a toddler with a cape and a sword with really buff arms.
"Ya, I suppose you're right. But when can we see it? Or more like when can we get out of here?" John asked.
"Oh yes, you can't use the door. Well, I'm free to leave anytime I like, and of course I'll be taking you with me." Sherlock assured. John nodded in relief, happy to know he wasn't locked in here with this manic forever. He watched Sherlock expectantly, but he just sat on the edge of his bed, tapping his feet on the ground and staring blankly at the wall, as if wondering what he should say next.
"So, are we going to go then?" John asked again. Sherlock looked up as if pushed out of a trance, humming for John to repeat the question. "I said are we going to leave?" John repeated.
"I have nowhere to be." Sherlock shrugged.
"Well, I mean, neither do I, but don't you think anywhere is better than here?" John asked. Sherlock looked confused again, but nodded.
"It's peaceful." He decided. John rolled his eyes, getting to his feet and examining the wall, trying to guess where the door might be hiding. "John?" Sherlock asked. John paused for a moment in exasperation, not in the mood to talk right now.
"Yes Sherlock?" he asked through clenched teeth. Sherlock took a deep breath, as if trying to prepare himself for whatever he might say. Once a drama queen, always a drama queen apparently.
"John I think, being parents now, that we should try to get along better, try not to quarrel as much." Sherlock decided. John sighed, turning around and looking at Sherlock, who looked as if he had just dropped a massive bombshell.
"Well, yes, I suppose so." John agreed.
"We don't want to make the baby think we don't like each other." Sherlock decided with a small smile. John looked at him quizzically.
"I thought you said it wasn't a baby yet, that it had to grow?" John guessed.
"I did, but, in the future, it needs parents who can stand the sight of each other." Sherlock pointed out.
"Sherlock, I don't think there is a future for us. I'm leaving, remember? I mean, this baby is great and all, but you can't really expect me to stay here, can you?" John asked. Sherlock's smile faded a little bit and his gaze turned to the floor, as if he didn't want john to see the hurt in his eyes.
"I uh...yes, I know." He agreed. "You have a family who loves you and you love them, I know, but...I kind of thought that maybe, maybe you could have a family here as well?" Sherlock asked, looking up with puppy dog eyes. It broke John's heart, honestly, but he shook his head slightly.
"Sherlock, I'm a human, you know I can't actually have a family, with an alien." John pointed out. "And you have family here that loves you."
"They um...sometimes I think that they might not." Sherlock said very quickly, as if not wanting to admit this to himself. John looked over at him sadly, trying to figure out just why Sherlock was telling him all this, especially now.
"Sherlock, are you trying to guilt trip me into staying?" John asked. Sherlock didn't look him in the eye once more, but his voice sounded weak, defeated even.
"Is it working?" he asked hopefully.
"No." John decided.
"Then no." Sherlock sighed.
"Good." John muttered, not overly convinced of Sherlock's intentions. Thankfully the door opened, and Mycroft marched in, flanked by two other doctors in some sort of parade.
"Mr. Watson, Sherlock, feeling alright I hope?" Mycroft asked. John nodded stiffly, watching as Sherlock wiped his eyes before looking up, as if he had actually been crying. Was the thought of John's leaving actually so painful for him?
"We're fine Mycroft." Sherlock snapped. Mycroft's eyes flashed dangerously, as if he wanted to surgically remove Sherlock's tongue the next time he went under.
"Good. The child is incubating now, in about a week, maybe less, it will be born." Mycroft decided.
"A week?" John asked, stunned.
"Why, yes, I did say that." Mycroft agreed, looking confused at John's amazement.
"It takes a human baby nine months." John pointed out. Mycroft just laughed, and the doctors flanking him giggled as well.
"Don't act like we don't know that Mr. Watson. This isn't a human baby, it's made from science." Mycroft pointed out. John nodded quickly, not really knowing what the difference was that science could make a new human being in a week.
"So, well, can we see it?" John asked.
"Certainly, it's nothing but fluid right now, a small spec is forming, not very interesting." Mycroft insisted. John sighed, looking over at Sherlock who still hadn't moved, his gaze focused on the ground once more.
"Are we free to go then?" Sherlock asked. Mycroft just smiled knowingly, casting a gaze upon his younger brother.
"Yes of course, Mr. Watson will need an escort; I could get Ms. Hooper if you're not up for it." Mycroft decided. Sherlock looked up quickly, getting to his feet as if he were a man on a mission.
"I can take him." he insisted. "No need to get Ms. Hooper."
"That's what I thought, such a good babysitter you are." Mycroft said with a smile.
"I'm not a baby!" John debated, and Mycroft's icy glare turned towards him instead. Honestly, that man looks at everything like it was no more than a hunk of meat.
"In our eyes." Mycroft muttered.
"Come on John." Sherlock decided, walking over and dragging John out the door by his arm. Mycroft was motionless, letting the pair leave like he was some sort of dramatic villain whose plan was unfolding perfectly. Sherlock seemed very upset, and he hadn't let go of John's arm yet, which was rather awkward for the boy to say the least.
"Sherlock, you okay?" John asked. Sherlock finally let go of John's arm, stopping and leaning against the wall, as if he were too emotional to trust his feet to hold him anymore.
"He treats me like a child." Sherlock growled, running his fingers through his hair once more.
"He treats me like an animal, be appreciative." John agreed, wondering why Sherlock was suddenly so emotional right now.
"I hate him so much John, I hate him." Sherlock decided.
"Well let's not be so harsh, it was one meeting, let's not jump to..."
"I HATE HIM!" Sherlock repeated. John jumped back in shock, but Sherlock was just curling into a little hospital clad ball, sinking to the floor and resting his head in his arms.
"Sherlock, let's at least get to a room, you must be a bit, emotional, which is fine, but if the Three Leaders happen by here, you're not going to look very impressive." John warned.
"Who needs them anymore, they don't need me." Sherlock snapped.
"Of course they do, you need to raise the Alpha Male." John pointed out. Sherlock took a sharp intake of breath, and John knew that he had once more struck a nerve. So he decided that he had two options, try to comfort the unstable alien, or walk away and pretend he had never seen this man before in his life. Being the good person he was, and maybe the more insensible, he sat down next to Sherlock on the floor, really hoping no one would walk by.
"Sherlock, are you alright?" he asked. Sherlock didn't pick up his head, but his silence told the whole story.
"John I don't want you to leave." he muttered.
"Sherlock, you know I need to, but we've got a week together." John pointed out.
"I know, but, you're the only thing that has ever made me happy, made me feel special, I knew from the moment I first saw you that you were the one, you had to be." Sherlock insisted.
"The one for the project?" John guessed.
"The one for everything. You had to be my human, and I don't want to give you up, not now, not in a week, not ever." Sherlock insisted. John sighed in defeat, knowing that there was no way he was ever going to win this argument by fighting back.
"Sherlock, you can always come visit me, I mean, if you stay on this ship maybe you could come down, we could spend some days on Earth together." John suggested.
"They're taking me home as soon as we send you home, they don't need this ship, it's only for human interactions, and once you're gone, well, we won't need the humans anymore." Sherlock admitted.
"Sherlock, I'm sorry, you know I'm sorry, but I need to leave when I can, there's no other way." John insisted. Sherlock picked up his head sadly, tears running down his cheeks and his eyes red.
"I know, I know I'm being selfish, but it's hardly a week and I can't imagine life without you. I can't imagine how I even managed to smile without you smiling back." Sherlock admitted.
"You sound like a fool in love." John decided. Sherlock laughed guiltily, shaking his head.
"I sound stupid, I'm sorry." He decided.
"No, it's alright; we all need to get our feelings out sometime, to anyone who will listen." John assured.
"Well, thank you for listening I suppose." Sherlock muttered.
"Anytime Sherlock, I'm here for you." John assured. John knew they were both thinking the same thing, not for long. Finally when John was able to get Sherlock on his feet again, they made it to John's prison cell without any collateral damage or emotional breakdowns. Sherlock was obviously feeling pretty embarrassed about his confessions, and was hanging back a little bit behind John, as if he didn't want the boy to see him.
"This is it, right?" John asked, nodding to the seemingly empty wall.
"You're uh, you're catching on. That's good." Sherlock decided with a proud smile. He stepped forward and pulled the door open, letting John in first before walking in and shutting the door behind him.
"Do you like your room?" he asked, as if trying to change the topic to anything really.
"It's a bit mismatched, but I appreciate the effort." John decided.
"I tried my best, I didn't really know what humans lived in these days." Sherlock admitted.
"Have you ever been to earth?" John asked.
"Not long enough to appreciate it. About two days, that's all, watching you for most of that time." Sherlock admitted.
"Two days? I only saw you that Monday, at school." John pointed out.
"I watched you the day before that as well, while you were trying to figure out the crop circle my ship had left." Sherlock pointed out.
"You were the one that looked in my window?" John asked with amazement.
"Of course I was, do you have any other stalkers that would've done that?" Sherlock asked with amusement.
"Well, no, I just didn't piece that together I suppose." John admitted.
"Oh how you jumped." Sherlock laughed, smiling down at John with a loving look in his eye. John was quite creeped out to be honest.
"Well, I uh, I wasn't really used to all this alien stuff back then." John admitted.
"You human life, it seemed so simple, so carefree, I envy you Mr. Watson." Sherlock decided.
"That's not possible; you saw that workout we were doing." John pointed out.
"How I would love to live like you did, to have family, friends, free time. Mycroft is a highly distinguished doctor, we are always on the move, city after city, place after place, it's nonstop and he drags me along." Sherlock sighed.
"Why don't your parents take care of you?" John asked.
"It's not considered appropriate to live with your parents after you are eighteen. Siblings, extended families, significant others may take care of you, but after eighteen years of dependence, you are expected to move out and start your own life. Well, I haven't' gotten my own yet, so I live with my brother." Sherlock shrugged.
"On earth most people, out of college I mean, live with their parents. Can't get through life with all of those student loans and stuff, need somewhere to lie low." John shrugged.
"And what did you do?" Sherlock asked.
"I've never been to college yet, I'm still in high school." John pointed out. Sherlock nodded, walking over to John's bed and sitting down on it, looking quite small in his hospital gown.
"Should we change or something?" John asked, pulling rather awkwardly at his gown.
"You may, I don't have an alternative at the moment." Sherlock sighed.
"Well, you could always go change, it's not like I'm going anywhere." John pointed out, kind of wanting time by himself. Sherlock took a deep breath, but shook his head.
"I don't really want to be alone." He decided. John nodded, walking over and pulling on his hoodie from where it lay on the ground, so at least he felt a bit more covered.
"That's alright." John decided, coming over and sitting down next to him once more.
"Tomorrow the baby might be visible, we should go see it." Sherlock decided.
"Ya, okay." John agreed.
"It's weird, to think that it's actually a descendant of mine." Sherlock said with a smile.
"Well, yes, it is. I never expected to be a father at this age, it's frowned upon on earth." John admitted.
"Is it? You don't want children?" Sherlock asked with confusion.
"Usually you're supposed to be financially and emotionally stable with your spouse before you have children." John shrugged.
"I suppose that makes sense." Sherlock admitted. "Where I come from, we need more people, so you're expected to reproduce a lot. Some people have up to five children before they even marry. The family trees, as you can imagine, are vast."
"Do you have any other siblings then?" John asked. Sherlock sighed, but shook his head.
"No, my parents decided they didn't want the burden, they only wanted us." Sherlock admitted. "Called us the ideal children, obviously they didn't know what they were talking about."
"I'd say you're a good person, I mean, I don't know much about the standards over there, but the way you volunteered for the project was brave." John decided.
"I just wanted to look good in front of the Leaders, it wasn't heroic, it was selfish." Sherlock admitted.
"Coming from someone who was forced into the project, I think it was heroic. If you had asked before taking me, I would've declined." John pointed out.
"Good thing I didn't ask." Sherlock laughed.
"How'd you know I'd follow you? Into the corn I mean, what if I called the cops, or shot you?" John asked.
"I had a hunch that you were more curious than violent, I knew you'd follow me because you seem like the type of person to do something stupid like that." Sherlock admitted with a smile.
"I mean, what's the worst thing that might happen, I'd get abducted? Oh wait..." John muttered, and Sherlock just laughed.
"There could've been worse things." Sherlock shrugged.
"Ya, it could've been crazy humans, cannibals I guess." John decided.
"What are cannonballs?" Sherlock asked curiously. John just laughed, shaking his head at Sherlock's beautiful stupidity.
"Cannibals are people that eat other people." he pointed out.
"That's very odd. And your kind allows this?" he asked.
"Um, no, not really." John admitted with a laugh. "But you know, the law doesn't stop everyone."
"Our laws are strict, there is no jail time, just death or exile, like I already said." Sherlock shrugged.
"Which would you pick?" John asked.
"Well, I don't know, depends on the crime I guess. If I thought I deserved death, then I would make them kill me. They might not exile me though, send me to Earth." Sherlock decided.
"Why not?" John asked.
"They might think I want to be there. If I'm exiled, I could be with you." Sherlock admitted. John nodded, trying not to look too flattered.
"But you won't, will you? Stay with me?" he asked.
"Just as you can't stay here, I can't go to Earth. I simply wouldn't fit in there, and I am needed here. You have to live your life and I have to live mine, even though it's a shame that we have to part." Sherlock admitted. John didn't really know what to say to that, so he just nodded.
"I will miss you, you know, when I leave. Even though it's weird here, and you're an alien, and you basically kidnapped me, I will miss you." John admitted.
"Will you tell people about what happened?" Sherlock asked. John shrugged, thinking about the crazy media people that basically hunt people down for close encounters.
"Probably not, maybe my sister, Greg, but no one else will believe me." John decided.
"Greg is your friend, the one you were with at soccer practice?" Sherlock guessed.
"Ya, that's him. Annoying little guy he is, but he's pretty entertaining to say the least." John admitted.
"That's nice, friends are nice." Sherlock agreed.
"Do you have any friends?" John asked, feeling like he already knew that answer.
"I have you." Sherlock decided. John nodded, feeling a bit guilty for just leaving Sherlock after a week, but knowing it was necessary. Sherlock got to his feet rather suddenly, catching John off guard.
"Where are you going?" he asked.
"I should probably leave; I'm not even sure what time it is." Sherlock decided.
"That's alright, I mean, as long as you're not hungry I'll talk." John assured.
"No, it's fine, I don't want to bore you or anything." Sherlock decided, turning in a confused circle before walking towards the door.
"Sherlock, you don't have to leave." John assured.
"I'll see you later John." Sherlock decided, and with that he pulled open the door and disappeared into the hallway. John sighed, sitting alone on the bed in confusion. Well, that was a bit abrupt. But John wasn't complaining, Sherlock with his sappy stories and emotions, it was all rather overwhelming to be honest. Why was he so emotional, why was he so desperate to make sure John didn't leave him? There wasn't any way John could possibly stay here, in this world with this alien, even if Sherlock begged and pleaded, he had an actual family. But would Sherlock expect him to start another family here? Was he thinking that once John actually sees the child that he would become attached, that he would decide that maybe his earthly family wasn't worth his consideration anymore? That was rubbish, of course not, John had a devotion to his mother, father, and sister, and an alien that literally kidnapped him and forced him to make a chemical baby didn't top that at all.