Rooftop Romantics

"Mycroft will kill me." Sherlock decided with a sigh. John took Sherlock's hands playfully in his own, lacing their fingers together and smiling up at the face of this beautiful creature.
"Mycroft doesn't have to know." John assured.
"He probably does already. Oh, he told me not to get attached; he's going to be so mad." Sherlock muttered.
"Sherlock! Mycroft doesn't know. If he was watching us right now, he would've captured us, they already have a death sentence for both of us, they're not going to waste their time trying to get us to be heterosexual." John pointed out. Sherlock took another deep breath, but he was starting to calm down, his hands were getting softer in Johns and he wasn't shaking anymore.
"Yes, alright. It's alright." He decided.
"It is. Everything is going to be fine, it was before, and it will be now." John assured. Sherlock nodded again, pulling his hands away from John's and wrapping them around his knees, a little ball of Sherlock.
"It's cold out here, but it's so pretty it's almost worth it." he muttered, looking off in the fields.
"As are you." John agreed.
"So one kiss and you're able to tell me all of these cheesy couple's quotes?" Sherlock asked.
"Yes, that's pretty much how it goes now. Because, if you want, we can be a couple." John pointed out.
"But I'm supposed to be paired with someone when..." Sherlock started, but John's look of annoyance seemed to shut him up. Sherlock kept forgetting that he wasn't going back home. "Yes, I would like that very much." Sherlock agreed.
"As would I." John said with a nod, looking at the stars. He didn't want to creep Sherlock out or anything, especially when the poor kid had no idea what he was doing. So he tried to focus on the stars, not Sherlock, although the latter was much more visually pleasing.
"I'm glad I saved you John, from the ship. If I had to watch you die at the hands of my brother, I would've never forgiven myself. I wouldn't have been able to live with myself." Sherlock admitted.
"But I'm not dead, and you did save me. Don't think about what could've happened, remember what did happen, be thankful." John insisted.
"I am very thankful." Sherlock agreed, looking down to his lips as if he were able to see exactly where John had kissed him.
"I like living, yes." John agreed.
"We need to go somewhere John, away from here, somewhere safe where your family's lives aren't in danger." Sherlock muttered.
"But where? I don't know any army bases or alien refugee camps, it's either here or the streets, I hate to say it." John pointed out.
"Can we afford our own house?" Sherlock asked hopefully.
"No. I still have to go to college and all of that, we can't be wasting money on a house right now." John insisted.
"College, yes, I've heard of that. Secondary education. You still want to live a normal life, don't you?" Sherlock asked.
"Of course I do Sherlock, I have no choice. I need to live, make money, there's no alternative." John insisted.
"You just kissed an alien, and you want to be normal." Sherlock muttered with a small smile, as if that was an odd concept to grasp.
"In my defense, the alien is very cute, and very kissable." John insisted. Sherlock laughed a little bit, looking down at the corn with a blush in his cheeks. John smiled lovingly, wondering why he had waited so long to get this kid so flustered.
"What are you guys doing?" Harry's voice asked from the window. John turned to see his sister trying to clamber onto the roof, and scrambled to his feet.
"No Harry, it's dangerous up here, you'll fall!" John insisted, but she was already standing on the shingles, looking unamused.
"I've been up here before; remember when dad needed help cleaning the gutters? Besides, you let Sherlock up here." she pointed out.
"Sherlock's older than you." John insisted.
"Sherlock hasn't even seen bubbles; I'm shocked he can walk on his own two feet." Harry pointed out sassily.
"Hey, I have massive intellectual abilities, I am superior to you!" Sherlock exclaimed, getting to his feet as well. Harry walked carefully down the roof and sat down where John had been sitting, pulling her legs to her chest as well and staring into the corn.
"I can see your crop circle." She pointed out. Sherlock gave John a defeated look and went to go sit next to her.
"That's where I first came to earth." Sherlock agreed.
"In our backyard? That's really cool." She decided. John groaned, so now they were best friends, huh? He decided that he had no choice but to sit next to Sherlock, look over the fields and pretend to be interested.
"I like it here on earth. It's much calmer, no one's worried about mass extinction or population or anything. At home, you could never sit on a roof and just not care." Sherlock sighed.
"We're worried about mass extinction, or at least some of us are. They're usually called crazy." John pointed out.
"Are you?" Sherlock asked. John just shook his head, placing his hand gently on top of Sherlock's where it sat on the roof. Harry didn't see of course, but Sherlock stiffened and John thought that it might be a bit too obvious.
"I'm not really worried about mass extinction, unless you superiors come down and wipe us out. That would be bad." John decided.
"It's more likely now more than ever. I don't know what they needed an Alpha Male for, but now I can only assume they want to take over your earth. If Magnussen really does want to overthrow the government, there would only be one thing on his mind." Sherlock admitted.
"Who's Magnussen?" Harry asked.
"A bad man, alien rather, who wants both of us dead." John pointed out.
"What did you do?" Harry asked, looking at the two of them as if trying to figure out who they had killed.
"We escaped, and we weren't supposed to do that. We'll pay with our lives if they find us." Sherlock admitted.
"Then don't let them find you." Harry suggested.
"Wow Harry, if only we would've thought of that!" John exclaimed sarcastically.
"Be nice John, your sister is already more intelligent than you." Sherlock insisted. Harry broke into demonic laughter and John sat in astonishment.
"She's not smarter than me Sherlock, shut up!" he insisted, using the hand that he was previously using to hold Sherlock's to slap the alien in the arm.
"Ow, come on." Sherlock muttered with a frown, messaging his arm with a look of betrayal.
"We should probably go inside, it's my bedtime." Harry decided, getting to her feet. Sherlock nodded in agreement, clambering to his feet and following Harry into the house through the window, making sure she could get okay with her short legs. John sat there for a little while longer, listening to them get inside before pulling himself up and walking in after them, taking one last look at the stars before shutting the window and pulling the curtains.
"Goodnight Sherlock!" Harry said with a smile, giving him a hug.
"Sleep...good...Harry." Sherlock muttered, looking at John uncertainly as if not entirely sure that was what he was supposed to say.
"Goodnight John." Harry muttered.
"Good night vermin." John agreed. Harry stuck her tongue out at him, the worst insult she apparently could come up with, and ran off to her bedroom.
"That wasn't very nice." Sherlock decided with a small frown.
"You should get off to bed too, Romeo." John decided.
"Who is...my name is Sherlock." He reminded, and John just rolled his eyes.
"We need to catch you up on human culture. Until then..." John started to lean in for another kiss, but footsteps down the hallway interrupted him. John quickly pulled away and Sherlock spun on his heel to see Mrs. Watson standing in the doorway, looking somewhat guilty.
"Are you two going to bed soon?" she asked. Sherlock nodded vigorously.
"Yes, bed, we were just about to...yes." He agreed. Mrs. Watson looked somewhat suspicious, but nodded, disappearing to go tuck Harry in.
"Nice save." John laughed.
"Yes well, goodnight John." Sherlock decided. John didn't lean in for another kiss, and he knew that both of them were mildly disappointed, but with Mrs. Watson prowling around upstairs, they might get caught.
"Goodnight Sherlock." John muttered.
"Very good night." Sherlock murmured under his breath as he turned away. John could only laugh to himself as Sherlock disappeared out the door, off to the guest bedroom. So he changed into his pajamas, sinking into his familiar bed, so much more comfortable than the race car, so much more snuggly than whatever Sherlock had managed to provide him with, and stared at the ceiling. The light of the stars illuminated his room and he knew, without meaning to, that the light of Sherlock's home planet was lighting up his ceiling, if only a little bit. A billion miles away, and somehow their lives were still overlapping.