Chapter 1

Chapter 1

       Three of my four band mates were sitting with me in our penthouse, each doing our own thing. My best friend and the lead guitarist, Malachi Vance, was strumming away on his acoustic guitar. The keyboardist, Junior Carman, was working on an essay that wasn't even due for two weeks, occasionally huffing. The drummer, Ricky Lyon, was laying on the ground beside the table the rest of us were at, scrolling away on his phone.

       And I, Aviva Odell, was holding my and Malachi's pet puppy, Duke, while he slept on my lap.

       The final member of Major Vocal, the bassist, Otis Audley, walked into the sitting room, carrying a stack of envelopes

       The final member of Major Vocal, the bassist, Otis Audley, walked into the sitting room, carrying a stack of envelopes. "Fan mail is here," he said, setting it on the table.

       "Might as well just hand them all to me," Ricky said, sitting up from his position on the floor. "We all know they're mostly going to be for me."

       "Why are you so full of yourself?" Otis asked.

       "Have you seen me?"

       Otis sighed and began going through the mail. Most of the time, our fans addressed each one of us separately and Ricky liked thinking that he got most of the fan mail. He didn't. It was usually equal.

       Otis created piles for each of us, but at one letter, he stopped. "This one's addressed to the actual band," he said. "And it's from Cold Sonic Entertainment."

       "The record label?" Ricky asked.

       "No, the pizza place," Otis said sarcastically. "Yes, the record label."

       "Well, what are you waiting for?" Ricky asked. "Open it."

       Otis sighed before he began opening the envelope. "I don't know why a record label would send us a letter," he said. "We're already signed." He then took the letter out and unfolded it before reading it aloud. "Dear Major Vocal. You are hereby invited...."

       "Hereby?" Ricky interrupted. "Don't tell me it's an invitation to a ball."

       "Would you shut up?" Otis asked before continuing. "You are hereby invited to this year's....HallowPalooza!"

       "No way, seriously?" I asked.

       "Yeah, it says right here," Otis said, handing me the letter. There it was. We were invited to the HallowPalooza.

       Junior looked up from his essay. "What's HallowPalooza?"

       "You don't know what HallowPalooza is?" Otis asked. "It's the Halloween party. Only the top celebrities get invited."

       "Um, Otis?" I said, reading the letter over and over again. "It doesn't just say that we're invited."

       "What?" Otis asked, so I handed him the letter. "Oh....my...."