2.

Pulling up the gravel drive, Amelia felt apprehensive. It wasn't too late to go turn around and go home, she told herself. They would understand, they would have to understand.

It had been two weeks since Adam had proposed that she come stay with he, Olly and the others, and her earlier hesitance and transformed into pure dread towards the idea. Her mother had worked hard, getting the house up for sale and dealing with real estate agents and offers, while Amelia had been left to her own devices. She decided what she wanted to hold onto out of their collection of furniture, appliances and knickknacks, putting them away in storage. She had packed up her clothing and several other important belongings in her bags and she found herself so preoccupied with everything that went along with packing that she wasn't concerned with what was going on downstairs at all. Tom was still on her mind, on the edge of every thought, every second of everyday, however, and the idea of spending time in a habitat that she knew nothing about that he had lived in for so long was scary.

How was she supposed to heal in an environment that had Tom written all over it? She had sliced and decided, chopped and chipped up all of his belongings; why did she think staying in a place where all of his things still remained fully intact was going to help her?

Sitting in the driver's seat of her silver car, she looked up at the big house. It was two stories tall with red brick and white window frames. There were dark, leafy green plants in the garden and in several hanging pots on the porch. A small balcony faced the street from the second floor and Amelia cringed, knowing that was Tom's former room. She sighed heavily before popping the trunk of her car, and stepping out.

The driveway was crammed with vehicles. There was Adam's sleek red convertible, the blue 1960's VW bug belonging to one Jeff Johnson and a beat up old black Honda that no doubt belonged to Jason Cross. Lifting her bags out of the trunk, Amelia noticed that one automobile was missing; a large, rusty white pick up truck. She shrugged before making her way to the front door.

Digging through her pocket, she fished out the brass key Adam had given her the week earlier, telling her to just walk in, that it was her home now, too. Still feeling awkward, she placed the key back in her pocket and rang the doorbell.

Adam answered the door, grinning brightly. "Millie!" he exclaimed as she walked in the house, dragging her bags behind her. He threw his arms around her in an excited hug, before pulling back to grab her bags. "I thought I told you just to walk in! Come in, come in!" Amelia cocked an eyebrow at his overzealous actions, as if the idea of playing host to her greatly pleased him. "The others are in the living room. We actually cleaned to prepare for your coming."

Amelia laughed slightly and smiled, thankful for Adam's happy demeanor. Despite her qualms, he was right; her being here was the best thing possible for her right now. There had been a reason Tom was so close with the men under this roof. They were kind, funny and dedicated and she was thankful for their help.

Even if one of them liked to push her buttons.

Entering the living room, she found two men sitting on the sofa watching a basketball game. Upon her arrival, they glanced up before breaking into grins themselves.

"MilMil!" one of them yelled, his dark hair flopping his eyes. "How are you doing?" He stood up and gave her a hug which she returned. She smiled at him.

"I'm doing well, Jason," she said, trying to mean the words. "As well as I can be doing."

He nodded solemnly. Jason was the basketball coach at the local high school and had the disposition of a teenager, still. He had dated her best friend, Clara Nelson, for a year, but his fear of commitment had stopped them from ever becoming truly serious. He was the go to guy if you needed a party companion, however, and was brilliant at pool. Many a night did he and Tom go to a local pub to play and sometimes Amelia would join them, watching and acting as cheerleader.

Stepping away from Jason, she hugged the man next to him. "Jeff, it's good to see you," she said softly and felt the man's arms wrap around her.

"You, too, Mils!" he grinned at her. Jeff was the final member of their five-some and had known them since high school. He had curly brown hair and his lanky body was constantly dressed in graphic tees with wild patterns and prints on them. He worked at an ink cartridge refill kiosk at the shopping centre and was constantly lamenting for the affections of his co-worker, a stunning red-head majoring in film named Annabel.

"How are things progressing with Annabel?" Amelia asked with a coy smile and Jeff blushed furiously.

"Oh, you know, you win some, you lose some," Jeff said, rubbing the back of his neck and Adam laughed over his shoulder as he began to walk into the kitchen.

"He can't work up the courage to say more than three sentences a shift to her," Adam said mockingly. "I'm going to get drinks, any of you want anything?"

Jeff flushed deeper and Jason joined in on the laughter. "Get us a beer, Adam!" he called, before glancing at Amelia. "Oh, did you want a beer? I think that's all we have, to be honest."

Amelia shook her head. "I'm fine, thanks." Living with four men was going to be interesting, especially if the only beverage they had in the house was beer.

"We do not just have beer here, Jason," Jeff said pointedly. "There's milk and water and I think Olly even bought some orange juice the other day."

Jason waggled his eyebrows. "And the vodka to go along with it."

"Would you two shut up?" Adam said, returning to the room with three beers and a bottle of water for Amelia. "You're going to make her want to pack up her things and leave."

Amelia smiled. "Don't worry, Adam, I don't mind. I don't know if I can thank you enough for letting me stay here."

"You can cook dinner," Jeff suggested. "None of us can cook that well."

Just as Amelia was about to agree, Adam jabbed his friend in the ribs. "Jeff, it is her first night here and we will cook her dinner!" He grinned. "Then she can gladly take over for us."

Amelia laughed, feeling a small spark of affection for the three men in front of her. There was a reason they were so close with Tom. They were wonderful. Before she could respond, however, the front door opened and a loud voice boomed through the hallways.

"All of you had better not need to go out later," the voice said, and Olly came in from the foyer, his head bent down as he flipped through a portfolio in his hands. "Cause I just blocked you in with my truck and there's no way in hell I'm moving it."

He glanced up then, suddenly realizing the commotion going on in the living room. When his eyes fell on Amelia, he swallowed visibly and looked over at Adam.

"I thought you said she was coming at four," he said blankly and Adam closed his eyes before answering.

"She got here early."

Amelia hardly appreciated how they were discussing her like she wasn't even there, but was even more jostled when Olly nodded, snapped the portfolio shut and turned on his heel, walking over to a staircase and heading up stairs. Ten seconds later the click of a door was heard and the four remaining occupants stood in silence.

Adam laughed nervously. "Um, you know how Olly is, um..."

"Forget it," Amelia said calmly, clenching a fist around one of the bags Adam had dragged in with him. "Wanna give me a tour?"

A/N: double update! You liking it? Or not?!

VOTE FOR MORE xxxxx