40.

"Knock, knock," Jeff's cheerful voice came from the doorway of Amelia's bedroom. "You almost done packing up in here?"

Amelia poked her head out of the closet, adjusting Olly's trilby on her head. She brushed the dust off of her purple floral print dress and nodded. "Just about. There's a few more things I need to put in boxes, but other than that, I should be out by tomorrow morning."

Jeff frowned, leaning against her desk and folding his arms. "You really don't have to go, Mils," he said softly and she sighed in response.

"Yeah, I do, Jeff," she said quietly. "I can't stay here anymore. It hurts too much."

"He's a fool you know," Jeff said, hopping up to sit on the surface of her desk. "I mean, I know he was hurt, too, but if he could see you now I know things would be different."

Amelia smiled sadly. "Somehow I don't think so," she admitted, removing a stack of jumpers from her closet and dropping them into her box. "But thanks for trying, anyway." She placed her hands on her hips and looked him up and down, noticing his excited demeanor. "You seem pretty happy. Something go well?"

Jeff nodded. "So I told Annabel how I felt."

"Did you?" Amelia said with a gasp. "And it went well? Oh, Jeff, I'm so happy for you!"

"No, no, no!" Jeff said, waving his hands, "Technically, it went terribly, she rejected me. Turns out she has the hots for this guy named Colin who works at the video game store. She's been seeing him for a couple of weeks."

Shoulders slumping slightly, Amelia frowned. "Oh, no," she said softly, "I'm so sorry, Jeff."

Jeff scrunched up his nose. "No, don't be. I waited too long, so clearly it wasn't meant to be."

Amelia looked at him confused. "Then why are you so happy?" she asked and he grinned.

"Cause she's going to set me up with a friend," he said happily.

"Her roommate?"

"Oh, god, no!" Jeff said with a shake of his head. "She's a writer, completely insufferable. No, her friend Melanie. She's apparently really sarcastic. You know what they say, as one door closes, another one opens."

Amelia shrugged. "Or both could open and then close in your face entirely."

"You really don't have to leave, Mils," Jeff said again. "Just because Olly's in New York trying to start fresh in a new place doesn't mean that you have to, too. You can do so right here in under this roof."

Amelia shook her head. "Honestly, Jeff, it's best for everyone if I leave. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's true. I'll be happier, you'll be happier. You won't have to deal with my angst fest."

"But we love having you here, Amelia," Jeff said earnestly. "You helped me lose weight and you gave Adam the confidence to hook up with Taylor and...and you don't get mad at Jason when he's hungover."

Amelia laughed. "I'm not sure if that's saying a lot."

"All I am trying to say," Jeff said with a grin, "is that we'll miss you and a part of me will always be angry at Olly for taking you away. But I understand either way."

She smiled at him. "Thanks, Jeff."

"Anytime," he replied, swinging his legs back and forth. He paused, noticing a sealed envelope sitting on the desk next to him. He picked up. "You still haven't read it, huh?"

Amelia turned to look at him and her eyes fell on the letter. "I'm not ready yet," she admitted. "I'm thinking I'm going to wait until it hurts a little less."