Chapter 2 : The creaking bench

You finally arrived the park. You feel fresh and good, walking on the red brick road and looking around the pastel tone of grass and hot sunlight.

"Very nice weather, indeed! (Y/N), you look very excited."

Light chuckled as he walked away from Ryuga and stood beside you.

"Indeed! Long time no visit, I can say."

You smirk and send him a mischievous look. 

"(Y/N)- It is very hot, though. Your skin will burn."

You gasped. You didn't notice him standing beside you. 

"Um, well... Still, don't you feel fresh, Ryuga? You don't like bright places?"

You question him, and he nodded a bit. 

He was trying to block away sunlight by putting his pale hand in front of his forehead, and that obviously didn't work. He frowned a bit, and you giggle.

"What's so fun, (Y/N)?"

Asks Light, with his own charming smile. 

"Nothing, Ryuga look like he really hates sunlight."

"..Well, if you don't mind, may I sit on the bench and watch you guys playing?"

Ryuga finally spits out his words. You nod and look around for an appropriate bench Ryuga to sit. 

"Oh, there! You may sit there, Ryuga."

Light points at the bench right under a tree, which could possibly provide some shade for Ryuga.

"..Thank you, Light-"

Ryuga sent the 'annoyed' look towards Light, but Light just grinned as if he has never seen Ryuga's visage.

Ryuga sat with his usual position, crouched, with his thumb on his lips. However, suddenly, the bench screamed creaking sound and you find out that a bolt was missing in the bench.

"Well, Ryuga, that bench is-"

Before you finish, he comes down. 

"I should have noticed it. Queer, very queer indeed... I was pretty sure that the bench was stable."

Ryuga utters and you just shrug.

"Well, maybe..."

Ryuga takes a glance at the bench and just turn his back towards it. 

"I no longer want to sit. Maybe we can do something."

Ryuga mumbled, and you smile.

"That's nice! We can play... Tennis, maybe?"

You found an empty tennis court and made a suggestion.

"Tennis...Sure, I used to be the junior champion back in England when I was young."

Staring at Light for some reason, he declared. 

"Ha ha, well, Ryuga, I was also a junior champion when I was in middle school. I quitted playing it when I entered high school... But still, I am a pretty good player!"

Light chuckled. However, you could feel something odd was going on. They were staring at each other, and you standing there, awkwardly, between them.

-Light's perspective-

'So that guy... Is L...'

I could still remember the moment when Ryuga turned to me and said 

'I am L.'

That was very shocking. I was confused. Is he playing another trick against me? Or is this guy, really 'the' L?

I needed to test him. Tennis tournament, huh, that was a nice suggestion.

a very 'friendly' tournament, it will be.

(Y/N) is watching me.. So I should make no mistakes.

...Wait, why am I caring for her? Is it because she is also the one who is around Ryuga? No, it is not something like she disturbs me, though. Be level-headed, Light. Your rival is Ryuga. Don't care about (Y/N)...No...

I took a glance at (Y/N), and I could see her being timid between the war of nerves between me and Ryuga.

"(Y/N), are you also interested in tennis?"

I asked, as gentle as possible. I didn't want to see her with such an emotion. Brightness rather suited her.

"Um.. I don't really play, it, but I know some basic rules!"

She answered as if she was waiting for it so desperately. She gained her positive energy again, good. I smiled.

"Then, would you mind being the judge?  Ryuga and I will go with 3 sets of games with each of them in 15 points."

She nodded looking determined.

"Okay, wonderful. Ryuga, shall we start?"

-L's perspective-

The bench... Was I not aware of that? Why? I was usually very aware of those, weren't I... That happened last time when I picked up the pen for (Y/N) noticing some dirt on the floor. That would have usually disgusted me, but I didn't feel that way... 

Whenever I was near (Y/N)..? That was strange. Need some more evidence, though.

So the suspect of Kira had suggested me a tennis game. Looking 'friendly'... Huh? 

I would gratefully accept it, Kira. I know you are childish enough to desire for victory.