You're Looking Like a Stranger Part 8

In the middle of the night, Jared wakes up with a start, he is all sweaty and the sheets around him are wet as well. He sits up against the bedhead and with a quick glance acknowledges the time. It's 4 o'clock. He turns to look at Ana but she's nowhere in the room. The sheets are cold; she must have left the room for quite some time.

Jared slowly rubs his eyes and yawns "Ana?"

The house is unusually silent at this hour. Without turning on any lights on, he quietly walks through the house, looking for any signs of his beloved one.

From the top of the stairs he catches the faint glow of the under cabinet lights, coming from the kitchen and on the couch, the familiar figure he loves. Ana is sitting on the red sofa, hugging her knees. Careful not to startle her, he descends the stairs and tiptoes until he reaches the massive oak table on which the blue blanket is neatly folded. She only notices him when the blanket is wrapped around her. Ana wipes away her tears as the singer sits beside her.

"Hey, Ana what's wrong?"

A dozen of tissues scrunched up lay on the coffee table in front of them among three yogurt pots' cadavers and the cheese box.

"It's just that" Ana sniffs "what if something is wrong with Blueberry?"

"Why would you think anything is wrong with B?" Jared tenderly brushes strands of hair behind Ana's ear and lays her head on his shoulder.

"I've felt B move inside of me a few times since last week. You told me you felt nothing when I put your hand on it; but I did feel something back then." She pauses "it was like an air bubble was moving in my lower stomach. It felt weird and magical at the same time." Ana takes another tissue and blows her nose, "The thing is I haven't felt any movement for two days." She breaks up into another crying fit.

Jared cuddles her, "I trust you, Ana. I didn't feel it but you assured me you sensed it. Everything is okay with our baby." He cups her face. "Look at me Analyne, everything is going fine and the gyn will confirm it shortly. Okay?"

Ana nods and closes her eyes, forcing a tear out of each of her eyes.

"Why are you even awake Jared?"

The singer sighs "I've had a nightmare, when I opened my eyes you weren't there."

"Want to talk about that evil dream?"

"Not really sure we should talk about it... It was – I were the Joker I were wandering the house, I leant over the crib, picked up our child and" he exhales "let's just say I was bad with Blueberry."

"Jared, whether you still are the Joker when Blueberry decides to show up or not, you will be a wonderful father. You don't need to worry."

Jared is staring into space "if you say so." He stands up and holds his hand "Come on, let's go back to bed."

Jared hasn't slept well for the rest of the night. He was turning and tossing in their bed. Ana had done well in communicating about her fears but now he was getting scared too. What if indeed something was wrong with Blueberry? He was excited to become a father but also scared as hell.

It is about 8:30 when he resolves to get up and heads to the studio in the basement. He dials Shannon's number.

The older Leto answers on the third ring, his voice rasp from awakening.

"Shan, can we meet for lunch?" the singer asks without the usual greetings.

"Sure baby J. What's wrong?"