Day 3

Camila's P.O.V

Again, I sat at my park bench, alone with two ice-creams.

Usually, I wouldn't think about anything and just let my mind wander, but today I found my mind transfixed on the girl from yesterday.

Lauren.

For whatever reason she had walked over to sit with me. I caught myself enjoying the foreign feeling of having company at the bench. So much so that I had offered her my ice-cream. She took it.

Now allowing my mind to wander, I noticed questions asking themselves in my head.

Why had she come over? Why did I give her my ice-cream? Would she ever come back?

Did I want her to?

My thoughts about Lauren were interrupted by the very girl herself.

'Camila?' A familiar raspy voice sounded from next to me, making me lift my head to see the taller girl standing in front of me.

'Oh, hi.' I give her a smile, despite being genuinely surprised that she had shown up.

'So, anyone sitting here?' Lauren asked with a cheeky grin when she motioned to the bench, already knowing the answer. I couldn't fight the smile that forced it's way onto my lips as I shook my head in reply, watching as Lauren sat next to me.

'You got two ice-creams again?' She questioned, her soft tone making me feel a little more comfortable than I would if someone else was sitting next to me. I just nodded.

'Ah-huh. I get two everyday.'

'Do you only ever eat one?' Again, I nodded, but this time I turned to face her. Looking up, I let myself take notice of her somehow gentle, yet piercing green eyes. It's like her stare was trying to destroy and fix me at the same time. I found myself so lost in Lauren's eyes that I almost didn't realize that I had offered her the other ice-cream before she took it from my hands.

'Thank you.' She mumbled as I shook my head in an attempt free myself from her gaze and turned to take a bite of my ice-cream. I had gotten chocolate again.

A silence settled around us as we both slowly ate at our ice-creams, but the black haired girl eventually turned to me to make conversation.

'So, tell me about your Papi?' Lauren had asked kindly, but it was almost a demand, as I noticed I couldn't say no to her.

'Um, like I said yesterday, he left when I was six.' Lauren nodded as I spoke.

'I know. Do you remember anything about him?'

'He used to bring me here. He'd buy us both ice cream and we'd walk around the park.' For some reason, thinking about it didn't make me upset like it usually would, Lauren listening patiently seeming to make it easier to talk about. 'One day he sat me down on the bench and told me to wait, but he didn't come back.'

'Huh, that sucks.'

'MMm, I know.' I easily agreed, before coming up with an idea. 'I got a question for you too.'

'Shoot.' Lauren shrugged.

'Why did you come sit with me yesterday?' I watched as she leaned back slightly, tilting her head back to stare up at the sun dappling the leaves above.

'Hmmm... Y'know I'm not really sure.' I gave a confused look, but let her continue. 'I guess you just looked lonely. I didn't like that, so I came and talked to you. It's a good thing, too.'

'Yeah?'

'Yeah, you're pretty cool.' Lauren smiled and contrary to her words, it made me feel warm.

'Thanks.' I paused for a bit, trying to convince myself against my next words, but was unable to help myself. 'You're just saying that cause I gave you ice-cream, right?' Lauren poked her tongue out at me and scrunched up her nose.

'Wow, you think you're funny, don't you?'

'Yes, actually.'

'Well, you're not.'

'You laughed on the inside.' I insisted, watching her shake her head.

'Whatever.'

'You didn't deny it.' I pointed out her obviously avoiding giving a direct answer.

'You're doing an awful lot of talking for someone who should be eating their ice-cream.' Lauren raised an eyebrow, gesturing towards the ice-cream in my hand, which had begun melting. I brought it up to my mouth and took a few bites so it wouldn't.

'Thanks Lauren.' I started in an attempt to show my appreciation.

'For being extremely hot?' She shot back playfully and I rolled my eyes.

'Sure, that too. No, I meant for coming over here. Yesterday and today.' I clarified for Lauren, who seemed unsure of what I was trying to thank her for.

'It's okay.' She giggled, holding the ice-cream stick between her teeth when she had finished. Lauren suddenly stood up, turning around and giving me a genuine smile. 'You're super slow at eating ice-cream.'

'Have you ever thought that maybe you're just too quick?'

'Eh, probably.' She spun on the spot once, looking around the park before stopping and facing me one more time. 'See you tomorrow?'

'You just want me for my ice-cream, don't you?'

'I guess you'll find out now.' Lauren smirked, mocking my words from yesterday.

'See you tomorrow.' I confirmed with a smile as she turned and walked away with her ice-cream stick in hand.

I sighed as I shifted back and finished my own ice-cream.

Neither ice-cream melted.