Chapter 8: Leaving To Australia

*Haru's home, 1 am*
The moment Haru gets home, he immediately heads upstairs and throws himself on his bed with white sheets. "Why? Why did I wait for so long? I should've taken my chance when he still liked me back, but I wasted it!" Haru says to himself, clenching his fists. "It really is... Too late." He continues. Slowly his eyes start watering, and just seconds later, they are overflown with tears. After an emotional 10 minutes, Haru calms down and messages Rin.

Haru: About what you said a while ago, I'm joining.

Not much later he got a response from Rin, who also was already heading home.

Rin: That's fine man, wanna talk about it?

After the heartbroken teen read this message, he slammed his phone away out of frustration and lies on his stomach, with his face pressed against his pillow to mute the sound of him crying.

*TIMESKIP: Two months ago, just after the dinner where Rin and Gou revealed they were heading to Australia*

"Hey man, can we talk for a moment?" Rin says, just outside of Haru's house. They both wave Mako and the rest goodbye and sit down in Haru's living room. "Whats up?" The blue eyed teen asks. "Well I have an offer to make you." The red haired teen responds. Haru looks up in surprise and with slightly widened eyes. "I want you to go to Australia with me. Yes, I know you don't want to leave Mako and the rest behind, but this can be your chance. You can really make a career with swimming if you go to this school!" Rin continues. "I can't. You know I can't leave Mako-" "Why not, you have had a crush on him for over a year right? I am the first and only one who knows and I've told you again and again to take your chance!" Rin jabbed back in interruption. "If you really want to stay for him, confess to him. Because if you don't hurry up Yumi will sweep him right of his feet bridal style-" "SHUT UP!" Haru now interrupts Rin. "I know okay? Just give me some time to decide. I want to try it but I'm scared.." Haru says, looking at the ground. "Ahw man, I'm here for you. But after so long, I think it is time to come clean. Bottling things up isn't good for you, both of us know that as one of the best. So I'll give you some time. I'll ask Gou to reserve a ticket anyways so if you want to come, just talk to me or message me and we'll be fine, alright?" Rin asks, softly stroking Haru's back to comfort him. "Alright." Haru says with a weak smile.

*12th of December, at Mako's place*

~1 hour left~
Rin, Gou, Yumi and Nagisa gathered at Mako's place to have one last goodbye. "Alright guys! 1 hour left until our boat leaves!" Rin says, grabbing his large backpack. "We'll be staying in touch! And hopefully have a lot of fun. Keep us updated about everything!" Gou adds up with a wink. "No worries about that!" Mako says with a smile. "It is too bad that Haru and Rei couldn't make it for the goodbye though, what happened to them?" Yumi asks.

*Meanwhile at Rei's home*

Rei put on his shoes and opened his door, only to see Haru standing in front of it. "H-Haru? What are you doing here? We're supposed to go to Mako's place to say our goodbyes to Rin and Gou!" The purple haired teen says. "I actually want to talk to you about something. It is really important." Haru responds. The serious look in his eyes pulling Rei over the edge, after which he let him in and they both sat down in Rei's room.
"So speak up, what is so important?" Rei asks, repositioning his glasses. "I'm going to Australia with Rin and Gou." Haru quickly says. "YOU WHAT?!" Rei screams out in shock. "I, don't want to speak about my reasons. I just want you to know that I'm already going to the dock to step on the boat." Haru says. "Y-you don't want to say goodbye?" Rei asks. "I can't." "Why not?" "Because it's none of your business." Haru snaps out. Rei takes some time to think about what he should say. After a short moment he makes eye contact with Haru and says "In that case, goodbye my friend, and I hope to see you soon again." Ending it with a bow. "Don't worry about it." Haru says after which he quickly leaves. "I knew something was wrong, I should inform the rest." Rei thinks to himself. He waits 5 minutes until Haru isn't close and runs to Mako's house as fast as he can.

*at the dock*

~30 minutes left~
Haru is sitting at the edge of the dock, looking at the water when he notices two red haired silhouettes walking up to him. "Hey Haru, still cared to come with us?" Rin asks. Haru nods. "Why didn't you tell the rest? Mako will be so worried!" Gou asks. "Don't worry about it, that's something between you and me." Haru says dead serious. Rin signs at Gou to take the stuff and go on the boat already, she obeys and the   red haired teen goes on to sit next to Haru on the edge of the dock. "You realize you're gonna have to be honest to Gou about this? About both why you left and why you didn't say goodbye." Rin asks impatiently. "I know. And I will, once we're there." Haru responds. Rin stands up and puts out his hand to Haru. Haru grabs it and also gets up, after which both board the ship.

*At Mako's home*

~10 minutes left~
Mako, Nagisa and Yumi are sitting in the living room, talking about their nice memories with Rin and Gou when they were rudely interrupted by an impatient knock on the door. Nagisa runs out to open the door, after which he is greeted by a panting Rei storming in. "Rei! You missed saying goodbye to Gou and Rin! What were you and Haru doing?" Mako asks concerned. "That-... Is the point. Haru left, with Gou and Rin on the boat!" Rei says, panting in between. Yumi, Mako and Nagisa jump up out of shock. "He what?!" Mako screams out. "Why did he leave?!" Nagisa follows up in panic. "I don't know!" Rei says. "Wait guys." Yumi says, pointing at his watch. "We have 10 minutes left, if we start running now, we an hopefully make it just in time and find out why he's going too!" Right after Yumi says this, they all head out the door and run towards the dock.

~1 minute left~
"The dock... It's there! I can see the boat!!" Mako says while panting and running. After a short run they arrive and see a silhouette standing at in the back of the boat. It's Haru. "Haru!" Mako yells. Haru shocks up and looks at his four friends running towards the dock. But just when they arrive, the boat leaves. "No Haru wait! Please tell me why?? Why?!" Mako yells with the pain clearly hearable in his voice. Nagisa is starting to cry, seeking comfort with Rei as Mako is waiting for an answer. "I will love you. Always and forever, Mako-Chan." Haru very softly says, after which he turns his back on the rest. "N-no... What did he say..." Mako says with tears streaming out of his eyes. "I don't know... I don't." Yumi says, comforting Mako while getting teary eyed too.

~No time left~
And so, the boat leaves for three whole years. With certain questions still unanswered, and certain love still unknown.