Chapter 1: Birthday Surprises

A loud knock interrupted my beauty sleep on an early Saturday morning. It kept knocking. It knocked for once. Then twice. There came another knock. I found the urge to say something. I said to the knock, "Who's there?"

A burst of a  seven year old boy, my brother James, came into my bright polka dotted blue and pink room. I had painted this room during last winter, in which everyone helped. I even rememberred the time my mom and I got paint on our head when James splattered it everywhere. That winter was also the time when Katie started to walk. You know how babies learn to walk then talk first? Well, my sister was the complete opposite. Aah, the memories that we can cherish forever.

James said, "Wake up, sleepy head.” James said, tapping my forehead. “What day is it?”

“It's Saturday, I guess. Now go away and please stop bothering me. I need my beauty sleep.” I said, shooing him away with my hand. Does he really have to wake me up this early? Besides, it's a weekend. 

He said, “Mom told me to wake you up; today’s your birthday.”

“What?!” I asked, feeling puzzled. Am I really dreaming? Is it really my birthday? No, that can't be. My birthday date is months later, not now.

“How could you forget? You’ve been talking about it last week.” He mocked, “Ooh, I can’t wait to be fifteen next week. I wonder what I’ll get.” Oh yeah, I did say that. I guess I forgot considering that I'm getting old now.

“Ugh, just get out of my bedroom. Tell Mom that I’m awake now.” I told him, getting up from my bed. 

“Fine, I'll leave you alone, for once.” he said and stomped out of my room.

I closed the door and looked at my reflection on my filled with cosmetics and make up dresser; my hair stood up, flakes were spreaded around my eyes, and dark circles were shown beneath my eyes. “I look so disgusting.” I said to the hideous reflection.

“No you don't.” a voice inside my head rejected my saying. “You’re beautiful even though you look like Naruto.” 

"Naruto?" I asked that ominous voice. I frowned at the thought of that, since it was weird that didn't know who 'naruto' was, but the voice inside my head did.

"Don't you watch cartoons?" it asked me in a know-it-alll tone. 

"Umm," I replied, speechless.

"Naruto is a famous ongoing Japanese manga series."

"Ok.... How did you know that?" I said, frowning at my reflection. Weird.

"Just go change." it instructed straightly. I sighed and shook my head lightly. The day just started and it's already starting to get awkward. 

I followed the voice's command and went in the bathroom to take a quick shower. Ah, that felt refreshing; there’s nothing like water splashed all over you to get you ready for the day. I wore a normal blue T-Shirt that says 'Love Me or Not', jeans, and some regular converse. I curled my hair, which took about an hour to get it perfectly curled, and then walked downstairs to greet my family. 

My parents greeted me simultaneously, “Happy Birthday Honey.”

Mom added to her greeting while sniffing my hair, "You smell wonderful this morning. Are you up to something special?"

"No, just  a celebration with my family on my fifteenth birthday." I replied with a fake happy tone.

“Happy Bwithday.” said Katie, my little toddler sister, while clapping her hands.

“Happy Birthday Amanda;” James said, “by the way, I taught her how to say that.”

“Aww,” I replied, “how adorable. Thank you.” 

 “We have two surprises for you dear,” Dad mumbled as he chewed on his egg benedict. I made a sign for him to close his mouth to have proper manners, but it was too late. Pieces of mushed eggs spilled already spilled from his mouth. I moved on my thought about the presents I'll be receiving. Ooh, I wonder what it'll be. A phone, perhaps? 

“Is it a phone?” I asked. I’ve been begging them for 15 years of my life, and I still don’t have a phone. All of my friends had phones since they were in elementary! Can you believe it? Of course you can. Technology is spreading quickly all around the world and anything's possible. It’s possible that I might be getting my phone when I start college. Nice job for ruining my life, Mom and Dad.

He shook his head. I was already disappointed.

“It’s a trip to the Grand Canyon.” James blurted out as he ate his scrambled eggs with sausages and hash browns. I gaped at him. Why oh why did my birthday trip have to be at the Grand Canyon? It’s not like we’ve never went to a national state park before.

“Does it have to be there? Can’t we go anywhere else?” I begged.

“We’ve already bought the tickets honey, and we have another surprise for you.” Mom said as she was making her special pancake surprise.

“We’re going fishing aren’t we?”

“Yup, that’s where we’re going.” Mom said with a smile. I should’ve known. Every year on my birthday, we always go fishing. It’s like a family tradition, except that it’s always only on my birthday.

“When are we leaving?” I asked as I ate my 5 stacks of pancakes topped with strawberries, banana, and maple syrup. Yum, my favorite breakfast. 

“We’re leaving today at twelve o’clock, about five hours later. Five hours should give us enough time to pack up. Shall we go clear up the table and pack?” suggested Mom.

“Sure, but let me finish my pancakes please.” I replied as I gobbled down my food. This day wasn't starting to be as what I thought it would've been, but things could've gone worse.