thirteen :: document

3:18 pm
Wayne Mansion

"Master Bruce, this is horribly unwise having her here. You and I both know her record, the stories about her..." He trailed off as he scrolled through the file Bruce had directed him to.

"She's our only hope in putting Jack and Harley behind bars."

"It's not worth it."

The billionaire huffed and the butler silently rolled his eyes, clicking on the document and glancing through the information, "Says here, Joker has made definite threats on GothamCore."

"Anything specific?" the billionaire allowed the change of subject.

"Harley is supposed to be involved as well but that might have changed since they split."

"Okay, anything about when?" the butler briefed through again.

"Sometime this week."

"Who's the document from?"

"One of Jack's men who turned out to be a snitch," the butler closed the documents and turned in the plush swivel chair to find the girl standing in the shadow. He sighed expectantly, "I'll call you back, Master B."

"Why're you talking about Jack?" she approached him slowly and hostilely as he placed the landline on its deck.

"Just a deal he and Master Bruce had negotiated," he lied, "How much did you hear?"

"Who snitched? And what about?"

"I don't know who, and I've already told you the subject. Master Bruce never told me what the deal is about," he wrapped his lie in a satin ribbon. "Now out, how'd you find the elevator?"

"I followed you," she didn't budge. He stood and stepped up to her.

"You're lying. There's no deal. A what were you really doing, butler?" she paused, "Tell me or I'll kill Bruce."

"No you won't; even if you tried, you wouldn't get far," he scoffed at her arrogant threat. "Upstairs, now."

"Fine. But what is this place?" He was glad they were only in the office and not the main part of the Cave that contained all the gadgets, the car and the suit.

They made it to the elevator and the doors opened, and they got in, and the doors closed.

"Don't worry about the things that don't affect you," the elevator ascended.

"What if it does affect me?"

"Then you'll cross that bridge when you get there Miss Winnie," he said tightly, knowing that day would soon come.

She was quiet, and he looked at her from the corner of his eye. He then watched the numbers climb, until they reached the main floor. The doors opened and Bruce stood in front of them.

"Hey baby," she said with the usual arrogance of his presence.

"Master Bruce, you're home early-"

"Yes, you hung up so I was worried and hurried home."

"Awful quick for the office, huh?" she walked passed him and he caught her wrist.

"What were you doing down there, Winnie?" he was serious now.

"Just wondering where Alfy went," she smiled childishly. "Don't worry, he didn't share anything with me. That's a good secret-keeper you've got, Bruce, very loyal."

He looked at the faithful butler and back to the girl, he let go of her wrist and she rubbed the pink mark.

"Ready?" she questioned, walking towards his bedroom and not bothering to look back. He glanced at the butler who was about to protest, but Bruce interrupted him in saying:

"Yes, of course, darling."