twenty-four :: castle

5:00 pm
the Queen's Castle

"I'm hungry," she stated firmly from the heavy wood table. The entire castle froze. She folded her hands in her lap.

A handmaid stepped through the door with a silver platter, filled to the brim with dinner foods.

Four guards in white uniforms walked in-step behind the handmaid. They took their places at each corner of the room, holding similar platters each with drink and glass.

The handmaid set a plate of trout in front of her; also bowls of veggies, bread, and salad. She set silverware and a napkin beside the plate, poured a drink and stood to the Queen's right.

"You may leave," she spoke gently. The handmaid left behind the door she entered from.

She dined.

All the while, the castle was a buzz with the staff getting things into place and cleaning. She had enough when the door was opened and slammed. She stood, in a rage and collected the bottom of her gown.

She entered the foyer with her soft face clear with anger.

She let the bottom of her gown fall to the ground and crossed her arms.

"Reyes, what is this excuse of guardians that stand in front of me?" She looked to Reyes.

"My Queen, here we have," he rattled off the names of five tall, strong men. She waited for the last, and was given the name, "Ulli."

She put her hands down and approached the group.

"Guards," she greeted with her manners this time. "Do not fail me, or you will be let loose. Or worse," she grinned.

The smiled or chuckled light, quick laughs.

"Come with me," she led the six to her stock room. She handed each a pistol and a bullet-proof vest, they each put the vests on under their suits and put the guns in the inside suit pockets.

"Two out front, two out back. Two in the house," she stated calmly. "If you need to renew your ammo, you'll find bullets in here. You'll find new vests in her. New shirts, in here. You'll sleep in the attic with the rest of the staff; but only one of each pair can sleep at a time and I want the house guarded at all times by both persons in the night. Do not fool around with anyone, that's my job."

Some laughed, but she was telling the honest truth. She kept her face straight.

"Do what you're told in all cases, do not question me or others' commands from me. Got it?" They looked at each other. "I also don't like to repeat myself."

"Yes," they all agreed and peeled off to their designated areas.

She took the two in-house guards with her.

"Reyes," she called.

"Yes, my Queen?"

"I need you to drive us somewhere," she placed her gun in coat pocket.

"Yes, my Queen. Where to?" The four stepped outside and towards the car.

"Joker's Warehouse," she breathed as they got into the car. She sat in the middle of the back seat, a man at each side. Reyes drove, they sat, the car was silent.

They reached the pier.

"Shall I stay here, my Queen?"

"Yes, that'll be good. Thank you Reyes. Come on boys," the three got out and walked towards the Warehouse. She knew it too well.

The man named Ulli began to pull the large door back.

"What's your name?" She looked to the other guard.

"Jacob," he spoke and stepped in first. "What're we doing in a strip club?"

He asked this as the other two walked in. She walked in the middle, the safest spot.

"It's Joker's. I want his men, the mascots," she stated and took the lead. The place was empty, thankfully. She led them passed the stage curtains and into the dressing room. Up the steps and to the attic. Here, the mascots rested for Joker's nightly acts.

Simple men who breathed in varying rhythms rested on single cots, a pile of gaudy costumes lay in the corner.

"Get them," there were five sleeping men to her group of three. Each of her two guards took two men, she took one. Each sleeping man woke with a start, and yelled before they were smacked over the head. She stuffed a pillow sack with the costumes and dragged her man behind her guards.

They got into the car, some men in the trunk and some on the floor. But they got home.

Each mascot was put into a bedroom; the mascots got their own room. She set their costumes inside and locked the door.

She ordered the Jacob man to guard the door.

The Queen made her way towards her bedroom to get ready for bed. A man stepped in front of her.

"Why did you want Joker's men?" It was Ulli.

She moved passed him, "Because I need help when I go into the field."

"But why his men?"

"Because they are trained," she climbed the stairs and he followed.

"What's the deal with you and him?"

"I served him, I was a partner. Harley did me wrong and he insisted on keeping her close. Plus I grew independent. Good night, Ulli," she closed the door, a barrier between them.

He nodded to himself, pulled out a notebook and jotted down: 'bitter.'