Chapter 1

"I'm here," I breathe against the healer's shoulder. His nose nuzzles into my crimson hair as he settles me slowly back onto my feet. MacCallan Gordon Grant Mackenzie, the man I've loved and lost for years, pulls back to gaze at me, his features touched with a suppressed awe.

"You're here," he whispers thickly, clasping my face. I nod, dropping my head onto his shoulder in relief. His warmth is welcoming. My body is trembling uncontrollably, either from the trip in the storm or my overcome emotions. He must notice, for he turns, keeping an arm around my shoulders, guiding me towards Greer's cottage.

The wind howls as MacCallan pushes the reluctant door closed. The room goes quiet, apart from the burning wood in the fireplace. I'm grateful when he comes up to me, grabbing my snow-covered cape.

"Ye should have waited," he says, gentle but disapproving. "You're frozen to your very bones. You're lucky ye dinnae get lost- or worse."

I cross my arms over my body as he throws the fabric onto a chair, reaching out for me and another chair at the same time. He guides me to the fireplace and sets the chair down. "Sit down."

I do as he says, heavily. Holding my shaking, purple fingers to the fire, I let out a sigh as his fingers grab my hair and he runs a cloth over it, drying it thoroughly.

"Can you remove your boots? We need to get ye changed."

I nod, reaching down. I deposit them onto the floor, still in my stockings. He quits when my hair is dry and moves before me, pulling me up. I remain still as a statue, staring at him as he removes my skirt and undoes my laces, leaving me in my shift, which is dry but not a force to keep the chill out.

I sigh in relief as he wraps his arms around my body, rubbing his hand over the entirety of my back, providing warmth from his body.

"Thank you," I whisper onto his shirt, sniffling. He rests his cheek into my hair, shaking his head.

"I'm still amazed that you're even here."

"I told you I would come back," I reply.

"Aye, ye did." I spread out my fingers over his shirt and he shivers, chuckling, grabbing them immediately. "Let's get you into bed."

I nod, exhausted beyond comprehension. He pulls on the comforter, holding it open while I settle down onto the bedding. I watch silently as he removes his boots and they fall to the floor with a loud thud. He removes his plaid next, rather easily when his belt is removed before pulling the shirt over his head, leaving him naked.

I hum softly when he rests beside me, pulling my body towards his with a tight grip. My hands slacken against his chest as time goes by and my body begins to dethaw.

"We probably shouldn't be here for long," I whisper finally, lifting my head to look at him. He stares down at me and nods, waiting. "Lachlan is giving me a divorce."

Callan's hand slows on my back. "What will be said? Divorce must be done by law."

"He's stating that I'm unfit to- provide an heir," I say, gently. His brows turn down but he nods again, blinking.

"Aye, well, then we must leave, tomorrow if possible. I'm- sure ye dinnae want to run into any-"

I shake my head, staring at his chest. "No, I don't."

He nods and clasps my face, pushing my hair back slowly. I glance up at him and find him staring. "Is this what ye still want?"

I chuckle and press my lips to his chest. "Of course. I want you."

He smiles softly and his arms tighten around my body. My fingers comb through the soft hair on his chest as I swallow nervously.

"Callan."

"Aye," he hums tiredly, turning his face down towards mine without opening his eyes. I gaze at his features, unabashedly, transfixed by the sculptured beauty of his face. He opens his eyes when I don't reply, unfazed by my stare. "What is it?"

"I don't think I'll ever be able to- give you a child," I utter with difficulty. I'd thought about it over the last year more than once, knowing it can't be a coincidence that I haven't become pregnant again although Lachlan and I had been trying. Saying it out loud makes my body go numb... Maybe it's my soul that numbs.

He stares at me and presses his lips together, with determination. "Ye cannae ken it, Gillian."

"I'd been trying to for a long time after Josephine, MacCallan."

The unspoken man I'd tried with hangs over us, proving that some things never change. Even though I'd left Lachlan in the woods, he's still here and I have the feeling he will not leave our thoughts so easily.

"Aye, well, we will then need to keep trying... Dinnae lose faith in it, mo chridhe."

"But, what if I'm not able?" I persist, nervously. "What if we try for years and can't? What will you do?"

His face contorts with empathy as he hesitantly whispers, "... What he told you really stuck with ye, didn't it?"

"I don't want you to marry me and- resent me for not being able to."

He sits up, aware at the intensity of our conversation and runs a hand through my hair. "I believe to the core of my soul, Gillian, that ye were born to be a mother. You've a nurturing soul. But I could never resent ye, for something that's beyond your control."

"You won't feel- emptier without one?"

"There are other compensations, Gillian. Such as loving ye with every drop of blood in my body and no one else, as I intend to do for the rest of this life." He rests his forehead against mine and closes his eyes, breathing in deeply.

"And the next?" I whisper against his warm breath.

His stormy blues open once more and just before his lips settle over mine, he replies, "Then too."

A/N: Short, but here it is. The start of Mackenzie! So excited to finish Gillian's, MacCallan's and Lachlan's story with you guys! xx