Chapter 5

We step into the entrance of the house together, laughing still over my two left feet when I spot a gentleman, handing over a large package to Adonna, the housekeeper. Also, the only person of his staff I've not met. Watching her speak with the messenger makes my mind drift to Ann.

"Allistar!" MacCallan speaks up, bringing me from my thoughts. The man turns and smiles with a warm sigh, reaching out his hand for MacCallan's.

"MacCallan Mackenzie, I did wonder when you'd show yourself again in these parts!" Allistar looks to me briefly and then back to him. "You've been the subject of talk these past couple days."

MacCallan glances at me, holding out his arm. "I suspected... Allistar Davidson, Miss Gillian Grant Clarke, my intended."

I step into his vicinity, feeling MacCallan's hand rest assurely on my back for a moment before leaving it. Allistar nods, as if he already knew it.

"That is wonderful. I'm glad to hear it... It's a pleasure to meet ye, miss."

"And you as well," I murmur, conversationally. "Are you a physican as well?"

He glances down at the large bag in his hand, blinks and then laughs. "Oh, nay, nay, I'm a tailor. I've come to fashion Mr. Mackenzie's tartan- for his marriage." He looks to MacCallan. "I also brought the gowns you asked."

"So soon? Really?" MacCallan smiles, walking towards the packages near Adonna. "Ye truly outdo yourself, Allistar."

"Dresses?" I whisper, confused.

MacCallan nods, smiling, grabbing a package. "Aye, for ye. A wedding present... Adonna, will ye bring these things to Gillian's bedchamber, please?"

"'Course," Adonna says, with a smile. He nods, looking happy. I stare at him, still shocked. Shocked and equally touched.

"Well, Allistar, you may set up in the parlor. I'll be right in with ye."

"Aye," he says, with a nod towards both of us. I watch him go and then turn to MacCallan, an awed smile curving my lips upward.

"You bought dresses for me?"

He nods, scoffing slightly. "Ye think I'd let you marry in the only dress ye own?"

"Well, I just- I'm just surprised. I would have been fine without one."

"I've gone years wishin' I could give ye everything, mo chridhe." He comes up to me, smoothing a hand over my hair. "I will make sure you are always taken care of, Gillian... Anything you need, if I've not already thought of it, dinnae hesitate to ask me."

"I may hold you to that," I say, jokingly, biting my lip to avoid breaking out into a grin. He chuckles and presses his lips to my hair.

"Alright. I must go to my fittin', or I'll be wedding ye in my father's too-large dress tartan."

"Okay."

He starts to walk forward but turns, hand on the door. "Will ye be okay on your own? My brother's shouldnae be here for at least an hour."

I nod, shooing him with a wave. "I'll find something to do. Don't worry about me."

He smirks, cocking his head wryly. "Dinnae ask for the impossible, mo chridhe."

...

I tie the front laces of the gown gently, pressing my lips together. The material is a light blue, cream-like color, with a hem that reaches the ground as if it had been custom-made for my form and height. The sleeves are long, thankfully, and warmly insulated.