Chapter 19: I'm So Proud of You

May 17, 2015

I woke up early. I had so much to do still today. Yesterday consisted of planning today, practice, planning, team meeting and dinner, more planning, and then to bed at midnight. I was exhausted. I took a quick shower and went to find coffee and Julie. Just the average morning.

Kelley's POV

I woke up to the sound of the shower water running. I knew it was Li. 6 am was her normal wake up time nowadays. I felt genuinely bad for her. She always seemed anxious. She always checked her shoulder. Something was up. I tried to ignore it but it was very evident.

Li walked out of the bathroom in just a towel.

"Sorry I didn't mean to wake you," she said.

"It's fine. I was up anyway."

"Liar. You totally were snoring when I got out of bed."

"Li! How dare you!" I yelled and threw a pillow at her. Of course she gracefully caught it and threw it back before I could even react.

"Gotcha." she smirked. "Take a picture, it'll last longer." she smarted back.

"Get out of here." I said as I felt the heat rise up my neck from being caught.

"Fine," she said. She headed towards the door. She was actually being serious.

"What! No! Get some clothes on!"

"You said get out of here."

"You are such an asshole."

"Oh, okay."

She changed into a sweatshirt and shorts then turned around. She was wearing my sweatshirt and shorts. "Nice. Stealin' all my clothes."

"Okay, don't start. You've admitted that you like my clothes better than yours." she said back.

"Li, just get out of here. You have a date don't you?"

"I wouldn't call it that. It's a routine meeting. J's just my best friend."

"I thought I was." I said acting hurt.

Then she walked towards me. She bent down by my ear and whispered, "You're so much more." Then she kissed my neck sending chills all throughout my body. After that she backed up and walked away like nothing happened.

She was such a d-bag. I don't understand how one could make all my hairs stand on end but then in two seconds make me feel like an idiot. God, I was whipped.

Li's POV

I knew how to get to her and I loved that. I knew exactly what made her tick. I bounded down the stairs and into the lobby. Julie was nowhere in sight but I walked outside and down the sidewalk. We were back in Carson for a Send Off game. Mexico were today's opponents. I was pumped but I was also super tired. Today was for Kenzie. I had everything almost ready. I had received my boots last night so it was about to be a painful game. I hadn't had enough time to break them in. Those were for Kenzie. I had also ordered a pair for auction. Those I had been practicing in and I would wear them for warmups. People tended to buy player worn stuff better.

It was going on 6:45 and there was no sign of Julie. She said she had coffee today so I knew she was coming. Ben and I were surprising her after the game. Ben flew Zach in and she didn't know yet. The two were staying in another hotel. I was excited she would be ecstatic.

"Hey, sorry I'm so late, Li." She rushed over with coffee in her hand.

"Don't sweat it. Are you alright?" I asked.