::Chapter Seventeen::People Are Full of Surprises::

Carmine’s POV

                “Blaire, hurry up!” I yell up the stairs, rolling the sleeves of my navy blue button down up to my elbows.

                “I’m sorry!” she hisses, descending the stairs angrily. Her hand grips the balustrade tightly as she staggers a bit in her boots. “I had to explain to my mother why in the world I was going out in skinny jeans and a crop top when it’s thirty degrees outside!”

                “What did you tell her?” I chortle, taking her hand to help her down the rest of the stairs.

                “That my belly button ring had gotten stuck and tore the hole. And that I’m supposed to keep it out so it doesn’t get infected,” she explains with a light laugh.

                I raise an eyebrow quizzically, but just smile, leading her out of her house and to Chance’s Jag.

                “Alright,” he begins, the engine of his car roaring to life. “We’re heading down to Ninety-Nine, alright? Wren, Liz, and a few select others will be there already for the meeting. Does anyone know what it’s about?”

                “Nope,” I shake my head in response.

                “Me either,” Blaire states.

                “Something big has to be going on,” Chance huffs. “Or this wouldn’t be happening.  When was the last client you took, Tink?”

                “Um,” she muses, biting her lip lightly.

                “It was a few days ago, I think. Maybe three?” I answer for her, knowing inside that it was a lie. “Yeah, because we were working on our history homework and she had to leave in the middle of it.”

                “You two weren’t really speaking at that time, genius,” he snorts, rolling his eyes. “So try again.”

                “It was, like, last month,” Blaire admits. “I’ve been too busy with school and everything to hang out at the bars and stuff, and Carmine-.”

                “I haven’t gotten many calls about her. I’ve gotten plenty about Liz, trust me. But not Blaire,” I continue, looking at him sheepishly.

                “That makes me feel amazing,” Blaire mutters, leaning back in the seat with her arms crossed sharply across her chest.

                “See, it’s not your fault, though, Tink,” Chance assures her. “You have this air of innocence about you that attracts really pervy guys most of the time, but times are changing. That pale face with blonde hair and brown eyes? It’s so last year to people now. Liz is tan and fierce, feisty without even opening her mouth. That, my dear, is your problem.”

                “He’s right,” I nod in agreement. “She’s got something about her that, to guys, makes them want to have sex with her yet get to know her. Liz is someone you want in bed and to be with on your wedding day. You, Blaire, they just want to be the mother of their child. That they had with someone else.”

                “But Liz doesn’t even trust slutty! How does she scream wild sex?” Blaire exclaims in exasperation. “Ugh, I hate this job, I’m serious.”

                “Why do you keep it then? You’re not with Wren anymore,” I ask, peering at her curiously.

                “I ask myself the same thing,” she laughs bitterly. “I’m not sure. There’s something that I keep coming back to.”