Chapter 10- A Crush

Tessa's POV

"So what is that?" Aline pointed at Brent who was searching in the fridge for a beer with Ed.

She arrived from her honeymoon yesterday and Brent and I came to visit her and Ed at their new house which was huge, I must say. My mom had Jay and Jessie for the day since she wanted to take them to the zoo. I was just planning to relax at home alone since it had been a while that I had done so. However, Brent called me and found out that I was free today and dragged me to the grocery store with him then here. I actually enjoyed grocery shopping with Brent.

"That is Brent," I reminded her. "He's your cousin," I tried to jog her memory but I knew what her question had actually meant.

"Playing smart, aren't you?" she wiggled her eyebrows at me from across the table.

"No, I am smart," I winked and she rolled her eyes.

"You like him, don't you?" she asked in a hushed tone like a 13 year old girl.

"Are we in high school?" I laughed at her without answering the question.

"Tessa, I'm serious, do you have feelings for him?" she asked more maturely, careful with the volume of her tone.

"No," I answered instantly. "Why would you even think that?"

She narrowed her eyes at me and studied myexpression. She then pointed to her hazel brown eyes and opened them wider thana football. "See these? They are eyes. Eyes are for you to see. I see with myeyes, Tessa and you guys hang out a lot since the wedding," she gave me herreason. I shrugged and was about to say something but then Aline continued."He's great with Jay and Jessie so I assumed that you would pursue him. I wouldn't give you wrong, too. He is hot," she nodded in agreement with her words. We both stole a glance at Brent who was currently laughing at something that Ed was saying.

"He's your cousin," I reminded her.

"Yeah, I know but I'm being honest," she pointed out with her index finger pointed at me.

I shrugged. "I just never thought of him as more than-"

"Well maybe you should," she suggested with a shrug. "Besides, you're over Jamie so nothing's in your way to stop you."

"I have two children," I reminded her.

"Jay and Jessie are not old enough to even be against it and you have your mom, Josh, Krystal and even us to watch them when you guys are having date nights," she began to plan out but I wasn't keen on starting to date again.

"That's if Brent feels the same way. I mean I have two kids for God's sake and we won't be able to really do couple stuff with Jay and Jessie," I gave her my views on the topic.

"Maybe he wouldn't care about that," she offered yet another reason.

I sighed, thinking about it. "It's just too much right now. Jamie just doesn't seem to even care about them and-"

"Hey," she stopped me. "Have he helped you raised them since you gave birth?" she asked then answered her own question. "No, he didn't. You don't need him. You're a single independent mom who raised twins for the past year and a half- almost two," she gave me a speech that really made me agree with her.

She was right.

I did not need Jamie.

But that did not change the fact that I still wanted him there for Jay and Jessie.

Just as I was about to respond to Aline and tell her that she was right about me not needing Jamie, Ed and Brent joined us at the table.

"What are you both gossiping about now?" Ed asked playfully as he slid an arm around Aline's neck after taking a seat next to her. Brent sat next to me and we all chuckled at Ed's question.

"We do not gossip," I defended Aline and I with a hand to my heart, pretending to be hurt by what he said. We all erupted in laughter and the boys took a sip of their beer.

"So what exactly happened with Jamie's butler?" Ed asked unexpectedly. Aline quickly slapped his arm and Brent gave him a look as if to say 'why-the-hell-would-you-bring-that-up'.

"It's okay," I waved them off. "It's not going to kill me if I speak about it."

"If you don't want to-" Ed started but I stopped him and explained what had happened.

After Gideon told me that Jamie kept Jay and Jessie a secret, I didn't know how to react. I didn't say anything else about it and changed the topic which Gideon happily obliged to. Jay actually spoke to him a bit but Jessie was quiet. Gideon was really nice and caring. Jay and Jessie weren't even his children but yet he gave them more things than Jamie ever did. Heck, he even met them and Jamie never did that.

"Honestly, I think you should just leave him to be with high school girls. You don't need him so you shouldn't waste a thought about him," Ed said making us laugh though I knew that this was good advice.

"Yeah," Brent agreed. "You are doing an amazing job by yourself."

Aline threw me a look then gestured to Brent. It was clear what her actions meant and I only rolled my eyes at her.

"He is just a waste of time," Ed shook his head. "You're like a little sister to me and I won't like to see you hurt by him anymore so let's have a drink to forgetting Jamie," he suggested and got up to get Aline and I beers.

"No, no," Aline stopped him. "I want wine," she got up and went after him.

Brent took time this time to find out how was I doing. "Are you okay with talking about all of this? If not, I'll tell Ed to shut up," he informed me, concern in his voice.

"No, I am fine," I admitted and he replied with a genuine smile.

Brent was so sweet and caring with his black short hair and dark brown eyes. He usually wore jeans and long sleeved plain t-shirts and it was true what Aline said. He was hot. In just those clothes, he still managed to pull off the look with it.

"Here," Aline placed a glass of red wine in front of me and she took her seat along with Ed.

"To forgetting that jerk Jamie!" Ed raised his beer. Brent raised his and Aline and I raised our glasses. We then knocked one another's glasses before finally taking sip of our drinks.

"You know what? You shouldn't even worry abouthim," Brent said as a matter-of-fact. "You have us."

Author's Note: Sorry for the late update! I hope these new chapters are somewhat good as the old ones because I haven't written in so long so it feels very foreign. Likes and Comments are greatly appreciated! Thanks for reading! 

                                                                                                                          ~Nayia