IV.

You know... I think everyone's starting to realize the pattern now.

Jake has been arriving here everyday around 8 AM, helping everyone until 11:45 AM, before he races to my room and enters at 11:50 on the dot. Then he'll stay with me until supper... In which we'll go down together and interact with everyone else. Well, mostly him.

Olive stopped coming to my room once she realized Jake and I's friendship was growing into something else.

I guess all of the girls were suspicious. It's in their genes to know when someone wants to fuck somebody.

And I guess I had all of their alarms going off since the moment Jake and I made eye contact.

The thing is, I'm difficult.

If Jake claims that he wants me, he's going to have to die and come back to prove he's worthy.

Not literally.

I got up and started pacing my room. Ugh... Jake what have you done to me.

I growled and left my room. I was starting to get antsy.

Maybe I need to take a walk?

I walked around outside and glanced at my clock. 11:32AM.

I had time to freak out. I puffed my cheeks and heard giggling up ahead.

My eyes landed on Emma and Jake saving the baby squirrel. He had his arms wrapped around her waist as he fastened the rope around her.  Then he got extremely close to her when he pulled her down.

I felt my jaw lock as I watched her snuggle into him unnecessarily.

Why do I care if she's snuggling into him? He isn't exactly mine.

I took a deep breath and turned around.

I will not get angry. I will not get angry. I will not-

"Enoch!"

I clenched up my fist and dug my fingernails into my palms before glancing over my shoulder at Jake.

"Hey!" he smiled.

I simply glared in response. "..."

"Something wrong?"

"Hmmm. I just feel like punching you in the face." I breathed out.

"Huh!?"

"Huh? Oh! Nothing." I waved it off nonchalantly. "Don't mind me."

"Why do you want to hurt me?" he frowned.

"And this is where I go." I announced and started to head back to the house.

"Enoch! Wait-"

I spun around and glared daggers at him. "Please don't follow me. I really don't want to hurt you."

"What do you mean!?"

"Just come back tomorrow, okay?" I groaned before running inside and jumping onto my bed.

The tears streaming down my cheeks added a lot to the intense pain in my knotted stomach.

I had never felt so sick in my entire life.

A gentle knock woke me from my deep slumber.

I opened the door without much thought and instantly regretted the thoughtless action when I saw Jake standing there with a bowl of soup.

"Hey-"

I punched him square in the nose before grabbing the soup and slamming the door in his face.

To say I felt guilty was an understatement.

My conscience made me open the door and cater to his bruised and bloody nose.

"WHAT WAS THAT FOR!?!?" he snapped as I sat next to him providing clean tissues.

"You pissed me off!"

"So you punch me in the nose!?! What did I even do?"

"..."

"Hey! You have to tell me!" he frowned. "Because honestly, I don't know how I'm going to explain this to my parents."

He glared at me and I sighed. "Jealousy doesn't sit well with me." I whispered.

"What were you jealous of?"

"Emma."

"Why?"

"Imagine if you saw someone touching all over me. Even if it was innocent... It would still make you cranky because you've never gotten to do that..."

"You mean when I was helping her with the squirrel?"

"..."

"E?"

"Yes! Okay? Yes! I was jealous of that!"

"I wasn't trying to tease you..." He frowned.

"..."

He opened his arms as if to welcome me and I carefully climbed into his lap. The brun kissed my cheek and blushed when I turned and kissed his nose.

My eyes flickered down to his lips and he watched me quietly.

"Hey...?" Jake whispered.

"Hmm?"

"I really l-"

A knock destroyed the moment. "Boys! It's time for dinner."

I turned away from him and mouthed a prayer of thanks. "Alright. We'll be there in a second."