Chapter 03

Richard was trapped and knew he had no choice but to stay. There was no point in struggling and only worsening the situation. Nonetheless, he knew he was screwed (not literally). He'd hoped it'd take a bit longer and he could take his time on making up something. Now, he was caught with his metaphorical pants down. He sat down obediently, pale and silent, avoiding Till's gaze. The singer sat on the other side of the table and Richard was really grateful for that- at least one advantage in this fucked-up situation. Till sighed heavily and rested his elbows on the table.

"Reeshart" the guitarist shivered despite the lack of touch. This special way of pronouncing Kruspe's name by Till was another secret kink of his "It shouldn't go this way I think I have no other choice. Let me ask you a question"
"Yeah?" Richard intensely stared forwards, focusing on the artistic-vintage poster over Till's head, representing black-and-white caption of the side of guitar neck
"We know each other for years, ja? We MADE this band. It's...our child so to say. It wouldn't work for so long that well if we weren't friends. Because we still are friends, right?"
"Yes! Of course we are!" Richard answered too eagerly

Till stared at him coldly with disbelief and guitarist knew he was terrible at lying.
"If so" Till continued venomously slowly "then why treat me like I'm invisible?"
"I...I don't..."
"Stop lying. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but I'd have to blind as a bat no to notice that you have some problem with me precisely. Only me. You're all fine with the others, except me. Be honest like a real man and tell me: what have I done to you?"

'What HAVEN'T you done to me?' Richard's dream troll asked maliciously but it was really not the best time for puns and jokes.s
"Richard. What the hell is wrong?"
"Nothing"
"GODVERDAMMT, REESHART, GENUG! Stop lying to me!" Till yelled suddenly and hit the table with his fist so hard that Richard cringed on his seat like a scolded child "Entschuldigung...Reesh. If really AM your friend, then tell me. Whatever it is, I'm sure we can fix, especially if it concerns only the two of us. Be honest with me, that's all I'm asking for" his voice was now soft and quiet
Richard didn't know which story would be believable enough. Probably none.
"Have I said something wrong? Did I offend you in any way? Did I...forget or miss something important? Is...Is there something wrong with Khira Li?"

Richard closed his eyes and sighed deeply. It struck him immediately. As much as he was going to hate himself for it, he had some chance to get away- at least buy some time for now, at his daughter's cost.
"Well...Kinda yea..."
"What? What then?"
"She..." Richard finally opened his eyes "...she fell in love with a wrong guy"
"And she started causing some problems?"

"Not exactly. It's more like...she knows he's no good and there won't be anything good from it, but she doesn't give up anyway"
"No good? Some punk or a junkie or rebel?"
"What? No! it's just....he's...he has his own obligations and...they're...they're seeing each other every day in a class and if something...didn't work out fine...well, the following times would be awkward"
"I see" Till rested his chin on his tangled fingers "The fear of trying and potential denial"
"I guess we can call it this way" Richard agreed carefully
"But if she never tries, she will never know"
"Ich weiss, aber... das ist...schwer...Sie...sie hat Angst"
"Didn't...Can't she talk about this...to her mom?" Till's face remained perfectly poker "Women solve these kind of things better if do it together"

"I...I don't know...But...Gute Idee...I'm gonna mention it next time we're on the phone"
"Yes, do it. But still, if it's about her... Then why me?" Till asked stubbornly
"Because...ummm....I...." Richard brushed his spiky hair nervously "It's...it's stupid but it bothers me...And...And I feel so helpless about it, as a father...And you managed so well with Nele so I felt idiotic about mentioning it to you...Since you do so well and I fail so much!" he spoke quickly
Till rolled his eyes mercifully and patted guitarist's shoulder.
"I swear...Richard Kruspe, I don't think it'd be idiotic enough for me if you started dancing here naked with only pink boa around your neck, believe me" Thank you for a great mental image, Lindemann! "And you think that family problems are piece of cake? My ass they are!"
"Nevermind...Thanks. I'm gonna talk to her soon"
"If this guy dumps her and does other stupid thing, he simply wasn't worthy and you are perfectly excused to shoot his head off, understood? And one more thing. Promise me that next time you have a problem- literally anything, I don't care if it's a disease, family problem, pregnant groupie or mafia debts- you share it instead of letting it kill you inside, ok? Promise me this!"