Chapter 4- Flutter

JJ's pov
A light tap on JJ's thigh woke her up. Her eyes fluttered, blinking away the clinging feeling of exhaustion. She fully opened her eyes, and saw Emily's warm eyes staring at hers, gently propping her up.
"Time to get up, sleeping beauty. Everyone has left to their assignment, I just wanted you to get more sleep cause you looked tired. Hotch assigned us to visit some relatives and parents of the victims. I got you a coffee, and we can go get food once we find our way around, okay?," Emily spoke gently, and slowly, for the sleepy blonde to understand her.

JJ didn't mind her tone, it was better then how Derek used to wake her up (he often yelled). She sat up, and  stretched out her sore back, yawning. She watched Emily pack her opened bag with materials they'll need to investigate. The brunette's straight hair kept falling into her eyes, causing Emily to shake her head to get the hair out of her face, like a puppy with floppy ears.

What a cutie.
--

The team was split up , Rossi and Reid went to the river, to gather more information on the victims. Hotch and Morgan went to the local police station , to meet the detective and set up a base for the BAU there. The two woman, walked to their first destination. A huge alley way, where the first victim, Michelle Bauer, family lived. It was a cobblestoned alley, with graffiti littering the walls. The sun didn't shine so bright on this area, causing cigarette smoke to lazily hang around the air. Brilliant flowers were dying, and massive rats ran wild.

It wasn't a pleasant area to stay in. Emily sensed that, for she took precautionary steps. She kept one hand on her gun, and ushered JJ slightly behind her. JJ, amused, didn't mind. She liked seeing the protective side of Emily come out, especially for her. "Protecting" JJ , made Emily seem bigger. Not in the height, or weight type of bigger, but figuratively. Her typical warm eyes, were shielded, and hard. Her hair was in a tighter pony  tail then usually, and she stood taller.

It was quite hot.

JJ can't deny that she hasn't thought of this before, covering a case with Emily.

The sun was  eventually whisked away into the  opaque darkness of night. It replaced  the sky with a thick, blanketed darkness, with stars barely poking through, putting  both woman on edge.

"My god how far is this house, this alley is so big. No wonder bad things happen down here," Emily muttered, now with her gun and flashlight fully drawn.

JJ checked her cell quickly for any updates before they arrived at the house , and she found 1 text notification from Garcia.

penelly girl: JJ, emily, new update. The victims were supposedly closeted lesbians. Hotch and Derek working on a theory that the unsub is homophobic. Will send updates as soon as I know.
Be safe my loves. Xoxo p.

A lump formed in JJ's throat. Her blue eyes watered, and her chest tightened.

"This is the SO damn far, but we are almost there. I don't ever want to do walking interviews ever again. But we're almost there, thank god. Any updates from Garcia JJ,?" Emily grinned, turning back to face the blonde.

Emily's smile melted, seeing the blonde blinking back tears. She put her gun away, and pulled her to the side.

"JJ, what's wrong? Are you alright? Is the team alright?,"

JJ took a deep breathe, and put a smile on. She didn't want to tell emily the case lead yet, because she enjoyed how tight Emily was holding her hand. She also didn't want to cry, and surely let out her secret.

Two years of loving you, em.

"It's no-nothing Em. I just tripped and stubbed my toe," she said, playing it off with a laugh.

Emily tilted her head, and tried to read JJ's face. JJ knew Emily didn't believe her, but it was a good chance she'll let it go.

"Okay Jayje. We have a about 2 minutes before we reach the Bauer's house. But before we do that, I want to take a picture of you. The street lamp light is hitting your face so well right now," Emily said excitedly.

She pulled out her phone, and stepped back.

"Smile Jayje!"

JJ smiled as big as she could, hand on her hips, butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

It was surely a random time to take a photo, especially when they really needed to build the profile.

But, Emily truly had a way of making her feel special, and cared for, especially in times like these.

The butterflies , they come alive when I'm next to you.

___________________

Next chapter will have  lots of case details , I promise.
Enjoy ! Xo