Chapter 5- Chirp

The two women marched up to wooden door, the brunette in the lead. Before she knocked, she shared a brief glance at the blonde. The blonde nodded, as if to tell her I'm fine , go on. So the brunette knocked, her knuckles making a dull noise against the heavy wood.

Slowly, the door creaked open, revealing a old woman, hiding behind the deadbolt. She stared up and down at the women. Her gray hair was up in a tight bun, and her eyes were rimmed red, drooping with exhaustion, and something else. Immediately, the two agents pulled out their credentials , and held them up. Before the blonde could utter the words she was trained to say, the woman stopped her.

"What do you want?," she asked harshly.

"Mrs. Bauer, I'm agent Jennifer Jareau and that is agent Emily Prentiss. We are with the FBI behavior analysis unit. We would like to ask some questions about Michelle," the blonde replied , calm and collected.

Mrs. Bauer's eyes widened, as they mentioned her and Michelle's name. She bit her lip, and nodded. The pair waited, and she shut the door, unlocked the deadbolt, and ushered them in.

Emily's pov

The house was, in other words, a trainwreck. Books and magazines were stuffed in every possible place, in the fireplace, on the rail, propping doors open. Takeout boxes and beer bottles littered the living room floor, brown stains indicated spills. Candles were being burned,to mask the thick, sour, smoke of cigarettes. Broken glass from smashed photographs, were laying idly around, dangerously. Emily and JJ stepped over them, their eyes locked on those picturing Michelle in them.

The old woman was hugging her shawl, tighter and tighter over herself, as if she was trying to physically keep  herself together. She stood awkwardly, in the middle of the mess.

"May we sit down for this ma'am? We need to ask you-," JJ paused,  carefully putting her words together. "-several personal questions on Michelle's life,".

The  woman then nodded, jaw locked, and lead them to the beaten wooden table.
The trio sat down, Emily and JJ next to each other, Mrs Bauer across from them. Emily pulled out the facts and files.

"So, Mrs. Bauer, let's begin,".

JJ's pov
After watching Emily go back and forth with the woman, only to receive choppy answers, JJ knew it was time to ask what was burning in her mind. The only answers they had were from the file; Michelle attended Anderson High, and was a senior. The girl loved soccer, and was going to Cal tech. Michelle's father left when she was 5, unknown cause.

However, the mother clearly wasn't involved with Michelle's school life , or knew where she was after school or on the weekends, but she knew something. He eyes darted wildly, whenever Emily mentioned "a significant other" of Michelle's.

While Emily tried again, to get answers out of the lady, JJ laid her hand on hers. Startled, Emily's eyes snapped up to meet hers. She intertwined her hand with Emily's, surprising Emily and herself. JJ knew however, this is what she had to do to get the mother to give up her answers.

But god, holding Emily's hand , one that fit so wonderfully with hers, felt so good.

As JJ predicted, Mrs. Bauer's eyes snapped to the agents clasped hands,a look of disgust flittered across her face.

JJ cleared her throat, and grabbed the case file with her free hand.

"Mrs. Bauer, was Michelle, perhaps involved with a girl, and not a boy?," JJ prompted.

The woman's eyes widened, and she swallowed. JJ watched the woman's hands, how her knuckles gripped the table so tight, they were a flushing white.

"I don't know what you're talking about".

JJ unclasped her hand from Emily's, (Emily looking slightly disgruntled as JJ let go) and sat up straight, hands folded in front of her. She cleared her throat, and stared hard, right at the woman's eyes.

"Ma'am, I believe you do. The broken glass bottles , tell me you're a alcoholic. Meaning, Michelle's father most likely left due to your addiction. The stress of your constant drinking, caused Michelle to leave as much as she could, and apply herself to sports and people. That's also why she picked a school so far from here, to be away from you-,".

She took a breath, and kept going.

"You also ignored talking about Michelle's personal life, as you are not sober enough to see what's happening. However , you do know about the one detail that's big in Michelle's life, because it repulses you. Now, let me repeat it again. Was Michelle involved with a girl?," JJ snapped, tired of the woman's antics.

Emily stared at JJ with surprise, typically it was her who did the hard interrogations. The woman bit her cheek, clearly surprised by the quiet agent's profiling. She looked down, picking at her nails, and muttered a name.

"Michelle was involved with Ariana Medici".

______________
TRIPPY stuff happening in Montana man.
Hello hello any thoughts or comments