chapter 3

Chapter 3: Holding Cell

Foxy stared holes into the mesh screen that separated the two front seats from the back of the van, trying to figure out where they were going. After doing what the policeman said, and losing his hook, Foxy was nervous. Where were they going? Why did they take his hook? Then another realization struck: he was outside the pizzeria again.

At least this time, it's not me fault, Foxy thought, hoping that this venture would go better than the last one. Finally, Foxy decided to ask the woman driving.

"So... Where do we be headed?" he asked, and the woman glanced at him in the mirror. She cleared her throat.

"The police station," she said simply.

"Why?" Foxy asked.

"They'll explain when we get there," the driver replied. Foxy and Chica remained silent for the rest of the journey.

Freddy and Bonnie spent the trip staring out the window curiously, taking in the outside world. It might not have been their first time, but it was still a new experience. The police car eventually stopped in a small lot in the rear of a large, cement building. The officer, who said his name was Reuben, opened the rear doors and stepped back expectantly. It took a bit of doing, but both Freddy and Bonnie managed to climb out without falling over. Looking toward the van, they saw Foxy and Chica step out, being watched carefully by the van's driver. She walked over to Officer Reuben.

"Alright, there's your sideshow, Reub. Good luck," the driver said, before climbing back into the van and driving back to dispatch. Reuben looked at the Freddy and the others, who stared back curiously, wondering what was next.

"Okay, up the stairs, through that door, move," Reuben ordered, pointing towards the back entrance into Central Police Station. Upon stepping through the door, Reuben guided the robots down a short hallway, and up to the duty sergeant, Polk.

"What the hell is this?" Polk asked Reuben, staring at the four animals the officer had brought into station.

"These are the mental guys I radioed about," Reuben explained.

"Freaking creepy as hell, Reub, where'd you pick 'em up?"

"That pizza joint, off of Seventeenth. You know, that place where those kids died?" Reuben replied.

"Oh yeah, in '86. Well, alright, holding cell two, on your left," Polk directed, staring after the bizarre group.

Reuben walked into the holding area, which was thankfully empty, and opened up the door to cell number two. Individually, he unlocked the handcuffs and ordered each mascot into the cell, locking it shut.

"Alright, just hang tight, we're going to ask you some questions, then go from there," Reuben explained.

"I suppose that's reasonable," Freddy replied, "Just be quick about it, please, we have to be back in the restaurant by six,"

"We'll try," Reuben replied.

"What about me hook?" Foxy asked.

"We'll have to hold on to it for a little while," Reuben told the fox, "Maybe if you take off the suit, you'd get it back faster."

"We've already told you, we can't take off our suits," Bonnie told the officer. He frowned, opened his mouth to speak, but shut it and walked away.

Mike Schmidt had another light night as janitor, and decided to go home and catch up on some sleep. After an uneventful bus ride, he stepped through the front door of his apartment. Mike noticed a blinking red light in the darkness, and flipping on the lights, discovered he had a message on his phone.