Pandemic

His breathing was heavy and viscous. Slow, like that of an asthmatic. He paused, then reached up, and grabbed...

I should start from the begining actually...

Well it's been a month now. Everything went dead, the phone lines, the internet... the people... I didn't know what to make of it, so I ran. It was instinct, to just run, and get the hell out. The streets were filled with screams that echoed around. It was hard to determin the humans from the infected, so I just hopped on the nearest bike and left.But how rude of me, I  haven't even introduced myself. I am Lucy Chisel, I'm 20 and I live alone in a small flat in Manchester.

But anyway I heard about it first. I was watching the television, and a news report came on:

"Scientists have picked up a rapidly spreading virus, which has very potent effects. The virus MM-R4 was first detected in Russia, and it has been spreading around Moscow, and it's moving West towards Smolensk and just touching the borders of Belarus. This new disease is only in its early stages, where carriers feel tired and they have frequent episodes of violent attacks, where a few people have reported to have been bitten by those who are ill. We're waiting on further news." 

I disregarded it at first. I mean it did seem a little strange, but it was all the way out in Moscow, I didn't think it would ever come to England, and I thought that by the time it did arrive here, someone would've discovered a cure or a prevention of some sort.

A week later, I was reading the paper and turns out the infection has started to show some new "traits" if you want:

People were developing uncontrollable hunger, so uncontrollable that they were even eating humans. They also got very violent, to the point where they were unstopable. But the strangest thing I'd read was that the victims had died, then become re-animated, and that's when the hunger would start. The virus had also spread throughout the rest of Russia, and it had reached the Czech Republic, and all of the countries below. It had also started spreading in Greece and it was making its way south. I was starting to panic slightly, but I was pretty confident someone would find a cure, but the disease was spreading rapidly, so I started to take precautions. 

Two weeks after, the virus hit London. It was only a matter of time until it crawled up to Manchester, bringing everyone to their knees. That's when it really sunk in. Everything I didn't feel before suddenly flooded in; dread, shock, fear, confusion. I didn't know what to feel. The precautions they gave us were to stay inside and not leave unless absolutely necessary, so the first thing I did was rush out and buy a bunch of canned foods. Beans, spaghetti hoops, sweetcorn, tuna. I was so determined to survive and not get this stupid virus. I stocked up on kitchen knives, and I kept them in the cupboard in the hall. I started to bolt the door and lock the windows.

Then one month ago, I remember the exact date, 17th October, the virus hit. There was panic everywhere, and that only drew the attention of the infected. That's when I made the decision...