Eight

Toriel sees us to the exit of the ruins the day after that and the three of us return to Snowdin, when we find a letter in Papyrus's mailbox.

"It's from Alphys," he says. He opens it and reads it: "Dear Papyrus, Sans, and Clementine, please come to the lab, it's important."

"What could it be?" I ask.

"NYEH HEH HEH! I don't know, but let's go!"

"Aww," Sans says, "he wants to see Mettaton!"

"Awwww!"

"NYEH!"

So we get back on the boat and make our way over to Hotland. Paps and Sans already know the way to the lab, so we head there.

Now, this time we go in without a problem. Alphys opens the door immediately when she notices we're there. 

"Darling!" Mettaton's sassy voice instantly starts flirting with Papyrus.

"Oh, nyeh heh heh! Hello, Mettaton!"

"O-o-oh h-h-ello!!" Alphys greets us. "I am s-s-s-s-o glad you could make it!"

"What is it, Alphys?" Sans asks her.

"I've j-just found something th-that might lift Clementine's spirits!"

"What is it?" I ask.

"I-I-I..." she says.

"Alphys found out how to get Clementine home," Mettaton says. "What a fabulous delight, isn't it?"

Sans looks at me, with clear disappointment and worry.

"You- you where my home is?"

"Of course, darling, it's on the surface!"

"Surface? But..."

"Do you not remember?"

"No," I answer.

"W-w-well, that must be a-a-a-a differential that happened when you fell down here, b-b-but as soon as you get back up there you will remember!"

I look out into nowhere, thinking deeply.

"Freckles?" Sans says. I notice hints of sorrow in his voice. "Will you... leave?"

I look deep into his eyes. "I-I don't know..."

"You're going to leave us?"

At that moment, Papyrus gestures to Alphys and Mettaton to go elsewhere.

"Don't go anywhere!" Sans says, then looks at me again. "You can't seriously be considering it!"

"Sans, I..." I say. "I probably had a life up there, I..."

"But us- what about us?"

"Sans..."

"Freckles," he replies and takes my hand. "What could you have up there that you can't have in here? Up there, it's difficult. It's a cheating, cruel world."

"But what about what I was before I came here? I don't know if I had a family, a home, a pet!"

"Listen to what I'm trying to tell you-"

"You listen!"

"Freckles!"

"What?!"

"Don't leave!" He raises his voice. "What if it's only worse up there?"

"I need to see..."

"I don't care!"

"You don't care?!"