Chapter 1

(Cato's POV)

I never expected to like her. It was out of the blue, actually, because she wasn't the kind of girl you'd expect to turn everyone's head when she walked past them. But she did turn mine. Because she was different, and I like different. And that's all there is to it. That girl...was Clove Kentwell.

It all started on the first day back at school. Everyone is talking about their summer, and I am trying to find my best friend, Jack. The hallways are overcrowded with excited kids as usual, and you can't tell who is who. As I push through the crowds, someone catches my eye. It is a small girl with brown eyes, brown hair and a face dotted with freckles. She is definitely new, because she has her arms full of spotless textbooks. One kid shoves past her, and all her books fall to the floor. She sighs and bends down to pick them up. I go over to help her.

"Hey," I say. "Do you need some help?"

"Yeah, thanks so much!" she replies.

"I'm guessing you're new, then?" I ask.

"Is it really that obvious?" she questions with an embarrassed smile.

"Kinda." I reply. "What's your name?"

"Clove. And I'm older than I look." she says. "I'll be 12 the day before the reaping."

"Cool." I say. "I'm Cato."

She brushes her hair out of her eyes. "So, I guess I'll see you around?" she asks.

"Yeah." I say. I really do hope so.

Sooo...what do you think? I know it's a little short (I'm afraid my chapters are always gonna be a little short!) Comment your opinion on the story so far!