Chapter 4

(Cato's POV)

As I'm walking home, I find Clove sitting outside by a tree. I walk over to her to check if she is okay.

"I saw you in training," I say. "You were amazing."

She turns around and looks at me. "You really think so?" she asks.

"Yeah. Enobaria was really impressed as well." I say.

She looks so pleased now. "I was worried that I'd disappointed her with my anger...she expects so much of me." she sighs. "You know, you weren't bad yourself."

"Yeah, but any old fool could pick up a sword and slash a dummy with it," I fire back. "You at least have a talent."

She smiles at me. Suddenly, I feel this stirring feeling in the pit of my stomach. I see her in a different way than I ever have before. It's like my world was black and white until now. I have just realised that I have a crush on Clove Kentwell.

"You nervous about the reaping tomorrow?" she asks.

"Me? A little." I reply. I'm too distracted by her hazel eyes that are staring into mine.

"Well, may the odds be ever in your favour." she says. She gets up and walks away.

I am suddenly anxious to lose her. Nervous that she will be reaped and that she will be brutally murdered in the arena. I am suddenly fearing for her life.