Chapter 14

(Cato's POV)

I fell asleep last night with Glimmer's arm around me. I couldn't help but look over at Clove, who was sleeping all on her own. Far from my protection.

In the morning I can hear a sawing sound. I decide to ignore it, since it sounds far away. Then I hear buzzing. That can't be good. Before I can even think about it, a nest of Tracker Jackers falls on us. It erupts, and my first instinct is to save Clove. Marvel has run elsewhere, so when Glimmer tries to grab my ankle, I push her off, leaving the Tracker Jackers to consume her. I grab Clove's wrist, and pull her in the direction of the river. Peeta is following us, but he's slowing down the game. I have no choice but to sow him down even more.

I can see he's running for Katniss, telling her to go, and I slash his leg with my sword after she leaves. He collapses to the ground in pain.

"Sorry, buddy." I murmur, and then I run off to see Clove.

She tends to my stings and I tend to hers. Then we just try to figure out our bearings. When we wake up the next morning, Claudius Templesmith is talking to us. He tells us that two victors are now allowed, as long as they are from the same Disrict. Me and Clove can go home. We hug each other in relief.

That night, Clove cooks some fish and we sit under the stars, just the two of us. Undisturbed. Then Clove turns to me.

"Cato, do you ever feel guilt when you kill someone?" she asks.

I've never thought about this. I suddenly realise what she means. "Yeah, a little."

"I do," she says. "I've murdered 6 innocent people in the games. And I'm not proud of it."