Chapter 9

(Cato's POV)

I had to volunteer. I just had to. It was nothing to do with glory, I just felt the need to protect Clove. Because when her name came out, my second-worst nightmare had happened. My first is that she dies. And I volunteered so that there is a guarantee that she'll win with my protection.

After we've said our goodbyes, we are driven to the train station. Clove seems very distant. She is just staring out of the window. I guess a lot is on her mind at the moment, what with her brother being in the Hunger Games only 5 years ago.

The train is breathtaking. Even though District 2 is one of the career districts (meaning that we are more fortunate than others like District 12) it's usually District 1 that gets all the luxury since they make it themselves and obviously the Capitol. Clove sits on a velvet couch, and slowly strokes the soft fabric.

"Well, make yourselves at home!" Effie says. "We have about 7 hours before we reach the Capitol. You can watch previous games if you wish, or do anything you like!"

After I've had a shower, which never ceases to amaze me, I go back into the lounge, where I find Clove sitting on the couch, watching clips from the 69th Hunger Games. The one her brother participated in.

"You miss him don't you?" I say.

She turns around and sees me. "Yeah. I do."

There is an awkward silence.

"Sometimes I can sleep better, if I hear his voice. Nearly every night, I play videos from his camera, because they have his voice on." she says, quietly. "I hear the Hot Chocolate is to die for."

"Well, there's only one way to find out." I say. We both scramble to the kitchen. Effie would probably disapprove, but in this situation, I think we need to grab any opportunity to have a little fun.