01

I RAN FOR MY life. I knew stopping would result in either me passing out or being spotted by a silencer. Both of which meant death at this point.
Low branches whipped me in the face, leaving shallow gashes on my cheeks as I ran. A voice in the back of my mind told me to stop running and give up.
I ran for miles before my body finally reached its breaking point and my legs gave out from underneath me. I collapsed forward, hitting my head on a rock. My vision darkened as I slipped out of consciousness.

"You'll be at the game tomorrow right?" Ben Parish asked me.
"I kind of have to." I playfully rolled my eyes and pointed to my red and white cheer uniform.
He smiled before returning to practice.
I always thought Ben was adorable with his messy hair and deep brown eyes, but another girl had the same mindset. Everyone knew about Cassie Sullivan's crush on Ben. Well, except for Ben.
     Ben's practice finally ended and he approached me once again. "So Kyle's having a party tonight and I haven't used my plus one yet. You wanna come?"
     "Sure, hot stuff." I smiled.
I stood there, staring at him until my best friend frantically pulled me away. "You really need to see this."
     I looked down at her phone screen. The photo showed some sort of ship flying around the Earth.
     "This is some Independence Day shit right here." Kyle joked.
     I forced a laugh although my mind was flooded with 'what if's' about how they may attack and end humanity as we know it.
     Who knew I wouldn't be too far off.

     The party was amazing. Even some of the geeks showed up. Ben smiled as he handed me a red solo cup filled with what smelled like alcohol. I drank it.
     After a few drinks, almost everyone there was wasted.
     "Hey pretty lady." he slurred.
     "You're drunk." I laughed.
     "I'm just having a good time!" His hands shot up in mock surrender.
     He leaned in to kiss me, but I stopped him with one hand, "You smell like alcohol, hot stuff."
     I wanted to kiss Ben, but drunk Ben wasn't the same. He wouldn't even remember the party in the morning
"I gotta go." I told him over the music.
He nodded.
     That was my last night as the old Skylar. With the waves came the new me, a girl obsessed with her own survival.

     I sat up, rubbing my forehead. I must've been out for hours since the sun was setting already. I got back up and stumbled through the woods, praying that I wouldn't cross paths with a silencer. The world around me was blurred, but I managed to find a cabin.
     I did my best to secure the building before making my way to the bedroom upstairs.
I collapsed onto the bed and finally allowed myself to think of my life before the world went to shit.
     I missed my parents despite how much they hated my lifestyle, I missed my friends, but most of all I missed Ben Parish, the one boy that could make me smile no matter what mood I was in.
Life is a complete mess now.
Survival was all that mattered now.
     I could still recall the day the 1st wave hit.
     Everything changed that day.

EDITED

Okay, so LEGENDS is finally back after some major editing and I'm hopeful that you guys will like this version more. (Don't worry, I stuck to the same story line but I fixed a lot of my grammar mistakes and capitalized everything)

Go check out my other stories if you haven't already!

Also make sure to leave a vote and comment if you enjoyed this chapter!