04

RINGER GLARED AT ALL of us. I was tempted to return the look, but she seemed like the type of person that could kill me whenever she felt the need. She had stringy black hair along with pale skin and dark eyes.
     Reznik left and Ringer stepped forward, "I was put in the wrong squad."
     "Hopefully they find the right one." I mumbled.
     "What did you say." she approached me.
     I stiffened up, "I said, hopefully they find the right-"
     Suddenly, the lights shut off. I was silently freaking out, but the rest of my squad was settling into their bunks.
     "Don't worry, it's just lights out. We're supposed to go to sleep now." Ben told me.
     I nodded and allowed myself to calm down. I took the last empty bunk and soon enough I was falling asleep.

     The walk back to my house was silent. Not just between my parents and I, but everything else too. No cars roaring past, or the annoying hum from the power lines. Everything was dead silent.
I finally spoke up, "What's happening?"
"I don't know for sure, but I think the ship did something." my dad replied.
"The 1st wave." my mom added.
"How do you know there'll be more?" I questioned.
"Do you really think whoever is attacking us would travel all the way here from their planet just to turn off the power. There's definitely more." my dad put his arm around my mom.
We finally reached our house. I opened the door and was greeted by darkness as well as my Australian Shepherd, Patches. Patches jumped up on me. She followed me as I moved further into the house.
"We're not leaving yet. This is our home." my parents were in the kitchen determining what we were going to do next.
I picked up a yearbook from last year and flipped through. In the class picture Ben and I were messing around amongst the rest of the students smiling normally. That's usually how our pictures ended up.
"Pack what you need." my father was standing in front of me now, "We're leaving after you finish school tomorrow."
I sighed, getting up to start packing. I dumped my books out of my school bag and replaced them with clothes, a hairbrush, the yearbook, and food. My parents got food and water as well.
Patches could tell something was wrong when I started packing her toys, food, and a bag of treats into a separate pack.
"Goodnight." I yelled downstairs.
My only response were the worried murmurs coming from my parents.

I was awoken by the sound of singing. It was obviously still the middle of the night, but Ben and Nugget were singing in their bunks. I rolled over and drifted back to sleep.

My dad was holding two bags and my mom held Patches' leash when they walked me to school.
"You didn't leave yet?" my best friend, Natalie asked.
I shook my head, "I'm leaving after school though."
"Almost everyone left last night. I'm staying. That power outage has everyone freaking out." she explained.
"Nothing works," I looked out the window. "A damn plane fell out of the sky."
Only Natalie, Cassie, and I sat in the classroom with the teacher.
Everyone else fled.
Even Ben.

This time when I woke, it was to the sun shining through an opening in the door.
     "We're going to the shooting range." Ben hopped down from his bunk.
     Most of them were already shooting and missing the targets by the time I got there. Ringer stared at everyone with disgusted looks.
     "You'd all die out there." she stated.
     "We're not going to be put out there." Ben Parish responded.
     "What if the camp gets attacked." she added, "I'll teach you how to shoot."
Ben smiled, "Thanks."
"On one condition." she added, "You have to give up your position as squad leader."
     I knew he'd be hesitant to let her take over, considering she just got here.
     "Fine." he sighed.
     She got up and began giving us a lesson in how to shoot our guns.
     After about an hour, I finally hit a kill zone on the target.
     "Zombie!" Reznik called out, "Come with me." Ben followed her into another building.
I kept shooting at the target.
     Eventually, shooting practice was over and we were all ordered to head back to our bunks. Teacup followed Ringer like a lost puppy the whole way.
     Ben joined us with a worried look on his face.
"What's wrong?" I asked.
     He looked up at me, "Vosch is putting us into a combat zone."
     I didn't know exactly what a combat zone was, but from the look on Ben's face, I knew it wasn't good.

EDITED

I hope you all enjoyed chapter four of LEGENDS! If you did make sure to vote and comment what you thought.