10

CASSIE SAT WITH EVAN Walker until dawn. She really did care about him, but could she trust him? He did beat Ben's ass earlier, and he knocked Dumbo out not to mention.
In the morning I awoke to the sound of choppers.
"Cassie, Cassie, get up!" Sam was pulling on her arm.
Zombie shook me and then he rushed to the hall where Poundcake, Dumbo, and Nugget were waiting.
"Might just be a patrol." Zombie whispered. "Maybe even a rescue mission, there were two squads out when the camp blew."
"They'll pick up our signatures." Dumbo panicked.
"Wait, hear it? It's fading already." he put one finger to his lips.
He was right. The noise was fading. We waited another ten minutes and it still didn't return.
That's when the girl appeared in the hallway.
"My throat hurts." she mumbled.
She was around Nugget's age. Sam recognized her as Megan, but as he raced to her, she fell unconscious.
Zombie carried her back to the room where he instructed Cassie to search her for a tracker.
I sat watching. They definitely wouldn't have put it on the back of her neck. They would've known we'd check there first. I called Zombie into the room.
"Nothing." Cassie told him.
"What about her throat. She did say it hurt." he said quietly.
She nodded, "There's no pellet in there."
The others also came back into the room, "We need to wake her up." Zombie decided.
He unscrewed the cap to his canteen and held it over Megan's forehead, but before he could let the drop hit her, Evan spoke.
"I wouldn't do that if I were you." he croaked.
"Why?" Zombie asked.
"That could make her take a very deep breath." the silencer continued, "And that would be bad."
"What the hell are you saying?" Zombie turned to face him.
"She's implanted, but not with a tracker." I finally realized what Evan was talking about, "The device reacts to our breath."
"What do you mean by reacts." Cassie stared wide eyed at Megan.
"Explodes. That's how they took out the camp I stayed with after my parents died." I finished.
We'd have to leave. I don't want to be stuck here when she wakes up.
"They took a child and made her into a bomb." Zombie was shocked.
"Can we remove it?" Cassie asked.
Evan shook his head, "How?"
"That's what she's asking dumbass!" Zombie snapped.
I interrupted, "The explosive is connected to a CO2 detector imbedded in her throat. When the connection is lost, it'll go off."
"Evan, can we do it without..." Cassie's voice was soft.
He shook his head again, "The chances of it not detonating are higher if you did."
"Do it without what?" Zombie asked.
I answered, "Killing her first."
Cassie and Zombie went out to the hallway to decide what was going to happen next. They ordered Dumbo, Poundcake, Nugget, and I to go across the street to the diner and wait.
I refused, "I know a lot more about this shit than you."
He and Cassie went back into the hallway, but this time only Zombie returned. I saw him preparing a knife to cut the device out of her throat.
His hand shook, "I can't do this." He mumbled.
He then joined Cassie in the hallway again. I was stuck watching over Megan as well as Evan Walker.
"Think they can do it?" I asked.
Evan hesitated, "I don't know."
"One wrong move and they'll be blown to bits." I continued.
I could tell he was getting uncomfortable. I was telling him how likely it was for his girlfriend to die.
They both came back in, but Zombie dragged me out with him.
"We're going to the diner." he told me.
"Cassie's doing it alone?" I struggled, but he didn't let go or loosen his grip.
He nodded.

Cassie signaled for us to come back.
"It's a test." Evan sat up now.
The green capsule thing was in a clear plastic baggie on the desk.
"Not the bomb." he continued, "Us."
"The first test I've passed in three years." I muttered.
"What exactly are they testing for?" Zombie asked.
"Knowledge." Evan responded.
"No shit. That's the purpose of a test. It would be helpful if you could knock off the goddamn alien routine and get real. Every second that goes by and that thing doesn't go off is a second that doubles our risk. They'll be back pretty soon and blow our asses halfway across the country." I snapped.
Evan interrupted before I could say anything else, "The absence of its detonation can only mean one of three things. One, it malfunctioned. Two, the device wasn't calibrated correctly. Or three-"
Ben held up his hand, "Or three, someone in the hotel knows about the bomb children and was able to remove it and put it in a baggie."
I looked up from the floor, "The test is to see if we have a silencer with us."
"We do!" Sam shouted. He shoved his finger at Evan, "You're a silencer!"
"Why do they suspect I'm here." Evan lowered his voice.
"Ringer." I looked into Zombie's eyes, "She didn't off herself or Teacup. They have them."
"That makes the most sense." our silencer agreed.
"Bullshit! She wouldn't give us up!" Zombie barked.
"Not willingly." I said, "They've downloaded her memories. That's what Wonderland is, isn't it."

EDITED

I love writing this story and apparently a ton of you guys love reading it!

You guys should go check out my other completed story: NOCTURNE! It's another Ben Parish fan fiction.

Anyways, if you enjoyed this chapter make sure to vote and leave a comment!