Alternate Ending

"CAN'T SLEEP?" BEN ASKED.
I shook my head.
"Come here." He patted the spot next to him on the couch.
I joined him and he swung his arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer.
"What's wrong this time." his dark eyes were soft with concern.
I shook my head, "Just another nightmare. I can't stop thinking about all of it."
"None of us can." he told me, "We almost died."
"Yet we didn't" I responded, "We should be dead like everyone else."
"But we're not. We're survivors because we fought our way through this shit." He pulled me even closer, "We're strong."
I couldn't help but smile. I leaned my head against Ben's shoulder, "I don't think you know how much I love you." I lifted my head and turned to face him.
"I love you too." he pressed his lips against mine.

Ben had fallen asleep on the couch, leaving me to go outside and stare up at the mothership-less sky.
     Thank you. I focused on the constellation that inspired Cassie's real name. You've saved the few of us that remain.
Ringer joined me at one point, holding her baby girl.
"Hey Cassie." I smiled.
The baby cooed. Ringer glanced at the constellation.
"She didn't die in vain." Ringer told me, "We'll rebuild."
I nodded.
Evan was in the doorway. His eyes were red from crying or screaming, or both. After Vosch died, he regained his memories and went back to the old Evan Walker.
He still blamed himself for what he did to Ringer and that the last time Cassie saw him, he was trying to
kill her.
"I can't sleep." a high pitched voice came from behind him.
Megan poked her head out when she saw me.
"Come on." I picked her up and carried her back inside.
I set her down in her bed. She had to share a room with Sam.
When she fell asleep finally, I stood over Sam. He's grown so much. You'd be proud Cassie. I collapsed, my emotions getting the best of me once again.
It started happening after Ben rescued me from the base along with Ringer.
I sobbed as quietly as I could on the carpeted floor of the kid's room. Ben came rushing to me almost immediately.
"It's okay." he wrapped his arms around me, "It's over now. We're all alright."
I dug my face into his chest and cried.
"You're going to be okay Skylar." he whispered into my ear, "I won't let anything happen to you."

Marika's daughter was old enough to walk now. She would run around the house, tugging on anyone she happened to bump into.
"Auntie." she raised her arms as a signal for me to pick her up.
When I didn't, she began crying, prompting her mother to scramble into the room.
Ben walked into the room, holding our child.
"There's Natalie." I cooed as I took her from Ben.
     I named her after the best friend I had lost in the beginning of the waves. I figured that everyone deserved a legacy, especially now.
     The child had inherited my chubby cheeks and Ben's soulful eyes. Ben watched as I smiled at our baby. I could still remember when he convinced me that we should have a kid.

     "We need to repopulate." Ben held my hands. "We might as well be the last man and woman."
     "You're not the one that'll be carrying it for nine months." I shook my head.
     "Please." he pleaded.
     I've known Ben since middle school and I still hadn't found a way to say no to him. "Fine."

     Sam and Megan were playing some version of tag where you had to hit the other person.
     "Cut it out!" I shouted.
     Sam wasn't the same defenseless kid and neither was Megan. They had grown up enough to understand what happened and what was going to happen now.
     I take it back Cassie. I smiled at my new family surrounding me. You would be more proud now.

EDITED

Ever wondered what would've happened if I wasn't an evil person and hadn't killed Skylar? Well, here ya go. This is from Skylar's POV. It's an alternate ending where Cassie ends up taking the pod.

Make sure to leave a vote and comment if you liked the alternate ending!