Shakespeare's Nico and Reyna (Part 3)

Reyna
Reyna felt like an undercover cop. Or a detective. Or a stalker. Whichever way, she knew it wasn't a good thing.

In the secret pocket of her oversized jacket was the Polaroid camera Chiron had given her. She cradled it in her pocketed hands, one finger poised to press the button, although she didn't know what to capture exactly.

She didn't really get sleep last night. She tossed and turned in her bed, occasionally staring at the camera on her bedside table, thinking constantly about last night. . .

She was thinking constantly about Nico.

Reyna shook her head. She couldn't add to her nerves now. The play would be later this evening, and she couldn't afford to be more confused. Her lines were confusing already, and she might have to strangle herself if she makes a fool of herself later.

But then, that's what she was doing these past days, making a fool of herself.

Sighing, she stretched her legs and stood up. It was still early, and sitting on the arena moping wasn't the best thing she should be doing in her last day at Camp Half-Blood. She was about to unsheathe her sword and practice on some dummies when she heard someone enter.

Reyna looked around and saw Piper. "Hey, Piper," she greeted, but her voice sounded feeble.

Piper smiled. And again, Reyna was struck with how effortless her beauty was. Reyna had envied this beauty at some point, even wished she had that. But now, she was just glad to see her friend. Just being in Piper's presence untied some of the knots in her stomach. "What brought you here, McLean?"

"Oh, just walking around," Piper replied. She brought out a sword with jagged edges -- the one she got from the Boread, Reyna heard -- and started slicing the head off the dummies.

"Oh." Reyna stood up and observed Piper. "You're getting better at swordplay. If I were the enemy, I'd be scared."

"You're full of crazy, Ramirez-Arellano." Piper waved the compliment off. "Enemies don't really take me seriously, you know. They think I'm all about makeup and fashion tips."

"But we both know you aren't," Reyna replied, making her laugh.

Piper stabbed a dummy in the chest, making the blade sink to its hilt. She tried to pull it free, but the sword wouldn't budge. She laughed again. "Look at this. If this is a real fight, I'd be dead by now."

Reyna smiled and approached her friend. "Your blade slipped out of your grasp. Too forceful," she said, pulling the sword free in one yank and stabbing the nearest dummy. The sword came out easily as she stabbed one after another. "Grip the hilt firmly and don't let it slip out of your hands. Don't drive the weapon through, unless it's worth losing your weapon for, of course."

"Like in love," Piper said.

Reyna stopped. She wheeled around and saw Piper watching her carefully. She wondered if Piper could read emotions, being a daughter of Aphrodite. "How so?"

"You're gripping this huge, pent-up love. You don't want to let it out, to let it get deep. You fight it with force, but it just doesn't budge," Piper said calmly, looking her straight in the eyes. "But when the time comes, you'll give it all. You'll let it get through, you'll leave it there, because you know it's the right thing. Because it's worth it."

Reyna blinked. Her thoughts immediately jumped to Nico and she hated herself for it.

Nico was the one he thought about all night, and every second of today.

Reyna didn't see him at breakfast today. She didn't see him outside his cabin. Usually he would wait at her door, so they could go out to breakfast together. She found herself scanning the crowd for his face, although she didn't really understand why. Maybe to make sure she hadn't ruined their friendship (if you could call it that)? Maybe to ease the guilt and feel better about leaving him? Or maybe to just see him, and convince herself that she had nothing to be scared about and she had a reason to stay. . .