Chapter Nine: Lost Dreams Coming True

Chapter Nine: Lost Dreams Coming True

The next few days were a daze.

My head was constantly spinning like a dancing table top, while my stomach was having an acrobatic show that I was not aware of until the very last minute. I felt like a lion tamer in the middle of the stage as everyone’s cool gaze watched my every move; waiting for me to have my flesh mauled by the lion’s paws.

There was only one reason – or should I say person – that had gotten me into this predicament: Liam.

The new rumor that surfaced the day he dumped Karla was that he did for me. Me. Out of all the girls at Velmont High he did it for me? Yeah, right. That was just a vicious rumor started by none other than Karla, who was jealous that Liam had suddenly taken a keen interest in me. Oh and it wasn’t only her doing – it was also his. Liam didn’t even take the time to correct the rumors; instead he fueled them by proving everyone’s thoughts and deliberately stirring the gossip mill.

The night he drove me home I thought that he was changing, but I had been extremely wrong. He was just doing this because it was a game. It was always a game to him.

It was finally Friday and I couldn’t wait to go have my usual movie night with Hayden and Gemma. It was my turn to pick this week’s movies and I had decided on thrillers/horror films. It definitely would not be a repeat of last week with those demonic trees and perverse demons. I picked Dear Mr. Gacy and A Haunting In Connecticut. Both were based on a true story, which automatically made a movie ten times scarier – it was a proven fact.

I was positive that Hayden would enjoy my picks and thank me for not having another chick flick night. Poor guy – he had to have more guy friends. He couldn’t complain though, seeing as AHIC is more horror than thriller and Gemma would mostly likely curl up against him.

He could thank me later.

It was days like these that I wished I had someone who’d love me for me just like Hayden loved Gemma.

I sighed as I dislodged two of my textbooks from a piece of old bubble gum that glued them together. Okay, that was definitely not my doing. That was beyond disgusting. I bet the gum was there since last year!

“Hey, precious.”

I froze, my shoulders tensing at the sound of his voice. After momentarily being taken aback I continued to organize my locker as if his presence hadn’t fazed me. I didn’t turn to look at him when I said, “Who are you, Gollum? You seriously need to brush up on your pick up lines – something that doesn’t sound creepy.”

He chuckled and said, “It’s Smeagol. C’mon Anya, don’t tell me I need to brush you up on the Lord Of The Rings.

I rolled my eyes and continued to ignore him until I couldn’t take the feeling of his eyes watching me any longer. I turned to face him with the intention of telling him to go away. But when I met his cool gaze it made my heart leap inside of my chest. No, stop it Anya. Get a grip. You’ve forgiven him, but that doesn’t mean you have to fall for him like every other pathetic girl.

Liam leaned his body against the lockers, crossing his arms over his chest. His voice was casual when he asked, “What are you doing this weekend?”

Well, this was new. He was actually taking the time to ask me instead of assuming I’d go out with him. I shut my locker and said in a cool voice, “Just the usual weekend lounging around with Mr. Cuddles and knitting sweaters.”

A warm smile curved his lips as amusement danced in his eyes. It made him appear…approachable and carefree. “Has anyone ever told you that you're a smartass?”