Chapter Twenty-One: Spotlight

A/N: I sincerly apologize for this super DUPER late update. I have no excuses whatsoever other than my laziness. I tried to make this chapter super long so hopefully you guys can forgive me for the long wait! ♥

New cover and beautiful graphic to the side is made by my friend, Lily Verlaine :D 

Please COMMENT, VOTE, and FAN to show your support for this story! ♥ Thank you guys for all sticking with me and not giving up on me :) 

Chapter Twenty-One-Spotlight

Every night for the next week I asked Mom and Dad a question about my adoption. One question was enough for one day as I let their words sink into my head, trying to understand, trying to arrange the puzzle pieces until it all made sense.

I no longer felt like Madison and Ryan had abandoned me. What I had gathered all week from my parents was their untold story, a story that couldn’t be written down in all those official documents regarding my adoption.

The low drone of conversations buzzed all around me as Gemma and I took a seat at our usually table for lunch. Hayden wolfed down his burger, slathered with extra ketchup, mustard, and mayonnaise. It was surprising that he hadn’t had a heart attack yet with all that sodium in his system. Gemma scrunched her nose as she took a seat next to him, scrunching her nose in disgust.

I raised my eyebrow; my facial expression completely wasted on him as he paid no mind to us. She shook her head in dismay, a small smile breaking at the corner of her mouth.

“So ready for tonight?” she signed.

Hayden’s head perked up from his plate and with a mouthful of food asked, “What’s tonight?” Gemma slapped his arm, giving him hard look. “Oh, right. The play.”

She rolled her eyes and he chuckled, wiping his hands on a napkin. “I was kidding. My body would be at the bottom of the bay if I’d really forgotten.” He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, a sudden mischievous glint in his eye.

“I’d like to propose a notion.” We eyed him warily and when neither of us objected he continued. “No more horror movies for our movie nights. I don’t want you two getting any ideas.”

I chocked on my coke as I wide smirk spread on his face. Gemma grinned, leaning forward and wiping at the corner of his mouth where a smidge of ketchup stuck to his scruff.

“Hilarious,” I deadpanned.

He shrugged, smiling. “I try.”  

Continuing with my regularly scheduled lunch, I took a bit of my apple. I chewed, my eyes lingering to where Liam stood with Collin smoking a joint. It never ceased to amaze me how they never got caught. As if he felt my eyes on him, Liam turned away from Collin. Even though I couldn’t see his eyes as they were obscured by the pair of aviators he wore, I could still feel his cool, steady gaze on me. I smiled, lifting my right hand in small wave. Gemma and Hayden turned to see Liam wave back and when they turned their expressions mirrored one another’s.

I sighed, wishing for not only the first time that I had someone like Gemma has Hayden. No wonder they were so perfect together. They practically were the same person.

“I wonder when he’ll ask you out,” Gemma said thoughtfully. “I mean, he obviously likes you. What’s taking him so long?”

“Gemma, he-”

Hayden cut me off by saying, “He does like her. Remember how long it took me to ask you out?”

Gemma smiled, her eyes hazing over at the memory. I wasn’t present the day Hayden finally asked Gemma three months after they first met. She texted me immediately after it happened and I couldn’t help but squeal in delight.